Saved Variables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saved Variables

Is there any specific reason why the addon stores data that isn't useful to other characters such as 500 lines of debug, flight points and, recently with the gold guide, recipes known in the global saved variables instead of the character specific saved variables?

I don't know about others but when I have Zygor enabled I experience logout times of at least 15 times longer than no addons enabled due to the amount of bloat saved on the global level.

I see no possible reason for my rogue to need to know what guides I've used on my hunter or what FPs/recipes he knows.

Therefore I suggest splitting this information into character specific saved variables which, in my opinion, is where it actually belongs.

Originally posted by amemir View Post
    Is there any specific reason why the addon stores data that isn't useful to other characters such as 500 lines of debug, flight points and, recently with the gold guide, recipes known in the global saved variables instead of the character specific saved variables?

I don't know about others but when I have Zygor enabled I experience logout times of at least 15 times longer than no addons enabled due to the amount of bloat saved on the global level.

I see no possible reason for my rogue to need to know what guides I've used on my hunter or what FPs/recipes he knows.

Therefore I suggest splitting this information into character specific saved variables which, in my opinion, is where it actually belongs.
    I believe it's due to the profile system they use.

Out of curiousity, does the longer logout actually effect you? I mean, I personally just alt-tab and do something else while the game is logging out.

Comment

Does it effect me? When it's just Zygor loaded not so much, when it is loaded alongside my other addons it almost always results in a disconnection when hearthing, reloading the UI or switching toons, resulting in Zygor being disabled almost all of the time.

A good profile system only stores data that may need to be accessed by multiple characters in the global saved variables and use character specific saved variables for everything that doesn't.

Profile data for how Zygor is set up - global as some people like to use the same profile on multiple toons.
      Debug data, professions data, flight paths known, etc. - character specific as there is little chance that any other toon will need to access that data.

Unless I'm missing something, and I could well be, there is no good reason to store absolutely everything on the global level.

Comment

If you're being disconnected in those instances then there is something bigger going on for you. You're the only person to have reported anything like this (to the best of my memory) so I can only guess that there must be some other kind of addon conflict happening (not related to the profiles and SavedVariables) to cause the disconnects. Have all of your other addons been updated by their respective authors for the current version of WoW? If you un-check the load out of date addons (on the Addons window at character select) do any of them turn red and say they're outdated?
        Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
        http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
          You're the only person to have reported anything like this (to the best of my memory) so I can only guess that there must be some other kind of addon conflict happening (not related to the profiles and SavedVariables) to cause the disconnects.
          I wasn't trying to place the blame totally on Zygor for the disconnects which is why I left that info out of the suggestion, I just can't seem to figure out the combo of addons that causes the disconnects but they seem to happen a lot more frequently when I have Zygor enabled along with my usual addons.

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
          Have all of your other addons been updated by their respective authors for the current version of WoW? If you un-check the load out of date addons (on the Addons window at character select) do any of them turn red and say they're outdated?
          Yeah, any that are more than 1 patch out of date I tend to disable until a new update is out or try to find a similar addon that has already been updated.

I guess 1 or 2 may have slipped through the cracks and I'll and not noticed so I'll have another check tomorrow.

-----------------------------------

The main part of my suggestion about splitting the variables was noticing that after having logged into multiple toons with Zygor enabled and using a guide or 2 on most of them, and recently scanning a couple of their professions that the saved variables is starting to get really big and increase the logout time by quite a bit.

Like I say, personally, I don't see why half of the character specific stuff needs to be stored in the account wide saved variables instead of character specific.

Comment

Does it effect me? When it's just Zygor loaded not so much, when it is loaded alongside my other addons it almost always results in a disconnection when hearthing, reloading the UI or switching toons, resulting in Zygor being disabled almost all of the time.

A good profile system only stores data that may need to be accessed by multiple characters in the global saved variables and use character specific saved variables for everything that doesn't.

Profile data for how Zygor is set up - global as some people like to use the same profile on multiple toons.
            Debug data, professions data, flight paths known, etc. - character specific as there is little chance that any other toon will need to access that data.

Unless I'm missing something, and I could well be, there is no good reason to store absolutely everything on the global level.
            This set up is very common among profile addons. My Arkinventory addon has my inventory stored in my global savedvariable file. And inventories are a lot of data.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomyne View Post
              This set up is very common among profile addons. My Arkinventory addon has my inventory stored in my global savedvariable file. And inventories are a lot of data.
              As I was talking about Zygor I guess I should have wrote that last line as
              Unless I'm missing something, and I could well be, there is no good reason for Zygor to store absolutely everything on the global level.
              ArkInventory, and other inventory addons, allows you to see your other toons bags/banks no matter which you are on or where in the world you are which is why it is stored in the global savedvariables. And while inventories are a lot of data, since buying the gold guide, it is nowhere near as much as Zygor stores.

Other than the ease of having 1 file when requesting the saved variables to try and track down a possible problem with the guide viewer, there is no other reason that I can see for Zygor to store any of the data in the ["char"] section of the saved variables file on the global level.

Comment

ArkInventory, and other inventory addons, allows you to see your other toons bags/banks no matter which you are on or where in the world you are which is why it is stored in the global savedvariables. And while inventories are a lot of data, since buying the gold guide, it is nowhere near as much as Zygor stores.
                I know ArkInventory has a purpose for it... but it does create a lot of bloat like that... And that was just one example. Sexymap does it too. nUI. It's pretty much the drawback of the profile system.

Other than the ease of having 1 file when requesting the saved variables to try and track down a possible problem with the guide viewer, there is no other reason that I can see for Zygor to store any of the data in the ["char"] section of the saved variables file on the global level.
                Ease of backup? I know when I am cleaning out my addons, it's easy to transfer ZG as I only need to transfer one saved file for all my characters.

I do agree with the admin above though. If you're experiencing disconnects because of this, you might have bigger problems to worry about than the size of the saved files. I've never had any problems with the zygor save system... and I'm an altoholic, so I have a LOT of characters in that saved file (And in my ArkInventory file!).

EDIT: It might help if you post your system specs. Do they meet WoW's recommend system specs? And are you on Windows, MacOS, or Linux (Under Wine)?
                Last edited by Bomyne; April 3, 2015, 06:31 PM. Reason: More!

Comment

I get that with using profiles there tends to be a lot of bloat, I just don't get why Zygor needs to store such a large amount of totally useless info to any character other than the one you are playing at that moment in the global saved variables. I just know that with Zygor disabled I don't get anywhere near as many problems.

Is my computer a top of the line gaming beast? No. Does it meet the minimum reqs for the Warlords? Barely.

Since this mainly started after purchasing and using the gold guide on a couple toons (and feeling underwhelmed by the product) I have went ahead and requested a refund for the gold guide.

Problem solved.

Comment

I'm not saying I'm disagreeing with you by the way... the system could be better optimized but...

Is my computer a top of the line gaming beast? No. Does it meet the minimum reqs for the Warlords? Barely.
                    If your computer barely meets the minimum reqs for Warlords, then that's the main cause of your problems... and it's going to cause extreme problems next expansion. And the more addons you install, the higher those requirements go.

Comment

Working...
                    X