Elder Scrolls Online

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elder Scrolls Online

I know many of you are probably going to be sick of hearing about the discontinued ESO guide. However with the game being released no longer needing a monthly subscription I decided to try and get myself back into it, to my disappointment although I am not surprised the ESO guide has been discontinued and I'm left here wondering have I just wasted my money? I've purchased WOW guides which I loved very much in the years of service they did to me and im just shocked that im unable to access content I paid for, i'm just wondering if there is going to be any form of compensation to the customers who paid for the ESO?

The team are discussing possible ways to compensate our ESO customers.
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
      I am in the same position...

Can you not at least make the guide available to those that purchased it with no support or further development?

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
        Or if you are not planning on doing anything further with it, release it to the community. I'm pretty sure someone would pick up the work. And as someone that bought all 3 factions, i wouldn't mind seeing that happen.....better than it disappearing all together.

Comment

It's interesting. Why not just allow access to it? I mean it was 75$! As fifogigo mentioned put a disclaimer on it. Otherwise, I would consider that theft.
          Access requires logging into a service and downloading the guides. I get this, so Zygor can make sure they are paid for their IP.
          I wonder if this could be considered similar to the Amazon | Kindle | litigation where paid books were removed after being paid for. That case was won by the plaintiff and set a precedent that the consumer owns digital content that is downloaded and paid for.

Amazon had to pay 150,000$ to the filing lawyers. I couldn't find information on how much the plaintiff made.

Comment

Originally posted by zeiglerbob View Post
            It's interesting. Why not just allow access to it? I mean it was 75$! As fifogigo mentioned put a disclaimer on it. Otherwise, I would consider that theft.
            There were multiple disclaimers. During the launch we created an entire video that warned users this could happen. The sales page (which is still viewable here: http://zygorguides.com/guides/eso/leveling) still has this message and a link to the video. Archives will show the page has been this way since it was first put up.

On top of that, the downloads to the product remained available several months after the product was discontinued. Everyone who purchased it had plenty of time to download it.The only thing that has happened is that we're no longer hosting the files for a product we discontinued months ago.

The guides are in bad shape because ESO is poorly optimized for guide addons. The game lacks an ID system, so every minor change to the quest log text (needed for detection) breaks the guide. For some reason Zenimax loved to keep changing trivial parts of the quest text constantly which required full guide rewrites for all 3 factions to fix.

Now that their game has failed (the reason we discontinued the product) they are forced to go free 2 play. This has reignited some interest in the game which is why suddenly people are wanting to re-download this outdated discontinued product. We're keeping an eye on things to see what happens, but we fully expect the interest will die off again quickly, as it did before.
            Last edited by Zygor Admin; March 30, 2015, 12:24 PM. Reason: added closing quote tag
            Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

So, I guess everyone that paid is SOL. With no email warning or anything on the downloader warning of this discontinuation I didn't even know about it until a couple weeks ago. I personally will take breaks from games and then go back to them months later. So, if I decide to go visit ESO or Wildstar I will have to do it without the guides I purchased from Zygor. It kind of clues me in on whether I should take a chance on anything zygor does that is not a direct update to an existing guide.

Comment

You may be right, it may be it's death that's coming up. But, it may not be. There are people (like me) that have played this game pretty consistently (barring life getting in the way). I can understand pulling the files, but it would have been nice to push out a notification to those that paid for the guides to download it before it was pulled. Not to say you don't have the right to pull it, but it would have been considerate of you if you gave that one last notice to get it or lose it. That in my opinion is what people were more annoyed about than it just being discontinued.

Comment

I don't think it helped things when the gear system issues were happening. Direction was given in the support forums to uninstall and re-install the client as a troubleshooting step. Once that happened, the Wildstar and ESO guides were not re-installed on my system. Would have been nice to have a heads-up on that one. In looking at all troubleshooting responses in the forums, at no time did it say that if someone follows the advice given to re-install that the other guides would be lost because we have recently removed them from the site. That is just very poor customer service but I get the feeling that really doesn't matter to all of you. Another alternative would have been to have the guides be downloadable individually for those who purchased them or modify the installer do that the guide files were stored in a separate directory upon installation so that they could be preserved in case they needed to be installed at a future time. That would have saved your company having to scramble now to determine how to compensate all of us who purchased all of your other guides available for Draenor as well as the gold guide. Unless you are planning to release new guides for WoW any time soon, this should be interesting.

Comment

We will be re-releasing the ESO/Wildstar guides for download, but they will not receive any updates. They may very well be broken, either partially or fully, but they will be able to be downloaded nonetheless. Aiming to do that tomorrow at some point, stay tuned, we'll send out an email that will talk about it along with updates to our Gold & Auctions WoW guide.
                    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                    http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Thank you for that. I know that there are a lot of people here who would appreciate that. I hope you all know that many of us here fully understand the reasons for the discontinuation of those guides. I just think the execution of this decision could have happened better. Thanks again and I am looking forward to reading your e-mail.

Comment

knvhv.jpg ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ

Comment

Working...
                        X