Gathering Oddities and Miscalculations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gathering Oddities and Miscalculations

I tried out a sample Gathering Guide (Heavy Leather Guide in Feralas killing Yeti's). A number of notes:

1. The pathing doesn't really work properly. There's only 4 path points, and they're so close together, the system is just confused. I was able to ignore the paths and just kill Yeti's fairly quickly anyway, though.

2. The rate and estimated gold values seem completely out to lunch. 2943 g in 40 minutes? I couldn't possibly come close to those numbers. This might have something to do with #3…

3. Repetition in the drop down list, as shown in the screenshot:
    Screen Shot 2015-03-11 at 3.07.41 AM.png
    As you can see, each item in the list is repeated 4 times. That might be contributing to the exaggerated numbers, but even if I divide the total estimates by 4, they still seem overly optimistic.

4. My results vs. 1/4 of estimate after 40 minutes (on a level 100 DK, killing Yeti's at a pretty good pace - a few pauses because they don't respawn as fast as I can kill them):
    - Heavy Leather - estimate: 192 - actual: 105
    - Silk Cloth - estimate: 138 - actual: 72
    - Thick Leather - estimate: 53 - actual: 24
    - Mageweave Cloth - estimate: 19 - actual: 6
    - Heavy Hide - estimate: 8 - actual: 6

5. Based on my results (and granted I might not be the fastest), and assuming I can sell everything at Zygor's estimated prices on AH, my actual rate/hr and gold after 40 min are considerably less than Zygor's estimates:
    my rate per hour: 625g 65s 84c ………………. gold after 40 min: 417g 10s 56c
    Zygor est. per hr: 4175g 91s 67c ……. Zygor est after 40 min: 2943g 44s 12c

I think the discrepancy has a lot to do with the duplication in the list of items. Getting rid of the 4x duplicates, the estimates would still be high compared to my results, but not so high that I couldn't explain it away by RNG and my lack of skill.

Yes, it seems the entire problem is due to the fact that those guides include alternate routes and rather than just looking at the drop rate ratios the guide duplicates the expected amount of materials gathered in those guides. Should be fixed by the end of the week.
    Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Working...
    X