Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

An honest review of Zygor + WoD leveling guide

Hello All!

I just came back to WoW after a year+ off. I had zygor's guide to level alt's before I left. I decided to upgrade for WoD. I also have another popular guide, so I will make comparisons when possible. I am running the Horde side of the guide. I am currently 100.

Pros:
    1. The guide and updates are available. Other guide sites were actually OFFLINE for two days around launch. They had to send out emergency emails offering discounts on all their other products to make up for this.
    2. The guide is more detailed than other guides. There are several footnotes that help you find or complete obscure quest objectives like: "X thing is under the table" or "NPC will be standing on top of the hill". Other guide doesn’t go into this much detail.
    3. Zone 1 (Frostfire) of WoD worked pretty well for me. The quest-lines for the Garrison buildings caused some minor confusion but ultimately I chose the one that wasn't bugged in the guide (lucky me).
    4. Most of Zone (Gorgond & Talador) 2-3 was flawless.
    5. I am out-leveling most of my guild.
    6. The guide still has some "research" put into it. What I mean by this is; they did not just make a TomTom for quest areas, they tried to plan the course of you doing the quests in an order that is the fastest and most sensible. I did notice a few times that this could have been planned better though, but for the most part it was great.
    7. The 3d model viewer is awesome for seeing WTH you are trying to kill.

Cons: (forgive me if any of these things can be adjusted via the settings panel and I didn't see them)
    1. The guides are "failing" if you chose the wrong a Garrison building (or so I hear). In some cases you can just skip ahead a few steps and find where YOUR buildings quests are but I’m not sure this is working atm.
    2. With a fully updated guide and no other add-ons, every once and a while I still receive LUA errors.
    3. For quests that have an item used to complete them, Z's guides have a small icon to push inside the guide window. It is way too small. Other guide has this as a standalone button that can be resized and dragged anywhere. WAY BETTER EXPERIENCE . It's such an annoyance to have to click that tiny icon or make the guide text bigger (which I don’t want to do, I just want the item button)
    4. Zone 4 (Spires of Arak) had some issues. The guide sent me to quests that weren’t there. The guide got me to the end of level 97, then told me to move onto another quest hub that wouldn’t give the any quests till level 98. I had to grind a bit to move on.
    5. The smart travel system is very buggy atm, especially in Spires. It also doesn’t leverage your garrison hearthstone yet.
    6. The auto equip best gear function is buggy intermittently. Sometimes it will equip something, then next time you go to a vendor equip the old things back. I also don’t know if it's updated for new stat preferences in WoD.
    7. Each zone has elite bounty quests, these were not mentioned in the guide. They were a tremendous XP boost and were mostly solo'able.
    8. Price. Other guides offer a subscription ($9 something a month) for access to all the guides. This is a MUCH BETTER OPTION. As a complete Z's guide pack can put you back a lot. I'd much rather use it for as long as I need it.

Overall

I really like Z's guide. Its speed and completeness beat other options and outweigh its flaws for the most part. In the parts of leveling where I had to grind (outlined above) I was reminded how much pain life is without it, even using blizz's enhanced map and quest help. I was showing another friend who just came back the guide and explained it to him as GPS for WoW. He plans to purchase it as well.

I'll update later if other things come to mind. Excuse any spelling/grammar mistakes, I’m out on my phone atm.
    Last edited by ender56; November 17, 2014, 01:13 PM. Reason: spelling and grammar

Hi did anyone have problems with zygor guides updating your gear i have met people in game and have told me that the gear zygor guides is doing is not get the spec right one minute jusr say i have hierloom gear and i get a lower item i wants to replace my hierloom gear which is miles better i feel the gear system is not right some how also on the talent side of things ( my wod is fully updated and zygor) still does not feel right. Anyone had this problem?

Comment

Please let us know which heirloom item you have equipped and what item it tried to replace it with, along with your class and spec. The gear system should not be trying to replace the heirloom items.

The gear suggestions and talent suggestions are based on leveling from 1-100 and most people will say these are wrong because they are looking at the end game dungeon/raid information for what would be best for the class.
      Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
      http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
      http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

In a release coming very soon (before next Tuesday, very likely), we've added an option to "protect heirlooms" as you level. You'll able to activate this option, and it will disable the gear system's ability to try to recommend gear to replace your heirlooms before level 100. This is needed because, sometimes, questing gear is better than your heirlooms, for a level or so. This is mainly an issue in levels 90-93. After that, your heirlooms start being consistently better, always, until level 100.

In this same update, we're adding support for WoD raids in the gear system, as well as items that have "proc/use" effects. We believe this update will fix this issue for you, and anyone else having this same quirkiness with the gear system while using heirlooms, so stay tuned!
        Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
        http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
        http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Working...
        X