Guide won't start today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guide won't start today

Worked fine yesterday. I just tried to start Zygor and it comes up and freezes and won't do anything.

I had to do a < reset > on my computer ( twice ) trying to get it to work or even let me do something else.

Any suggestions?

When was the last time you updated the guides? Have you tried to disable any other addons to see if there's some conflict happening?
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Zygor-...04933799556988

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

I haven't manually updated the guide because I have seen it update itself so i presumed it was automatic.

However, it worked fine one day, the next ... not so much.

Actually, it appears Zygor may be working and it is only the main screen that is frozen.
      In game I can bring the guide up, although currently I am not following it because I ran into quests that were too powerful for me and I couldn't do it so I am doing side quests to level up some more and build some better armor. I was at level 27 fighting multiple level 30's and got tired of being killed and spending gold for repairs. My toon is up to level 29 now though so I may retry the quest that made me back off and level up some more.

But the main Zygor screen that comes up when you start the program is freezing and will not go away without restarting the computer.

It < could > be an add-on but why would add-ons affect Zygor before the game was even launched?
      Obviously it would appear < something > changed and there have been multiple multiple add-on's updating via Curse's Minion and some updated manually -- but none manually on the days in question.

I have been running Minion to check for add-ons before starting Zygor. I will try skipping Minion and see if it affects Zygor. But I doubt it is an add-on since the game hasn't even been launched yet.

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
      When was the last time you updated the guides? Have you tried to disable any other addons to see if there's some conflict happening?

Comment

Ahh, I thought you were referring to the in game guide viewer window. I didn't realize you meant the Updater client. The client runs off of Java so if it freezes up then try pressing Ctrl + Shift + Escape to open the Task Manager then end the Java.exe process on the Processes tab. That will allow you to re-start the client without having to re-start your computer.

For the freezing, since it's a Java based application try checking for Java updates or maybe try re-installing Java.

Comment

32 or 64 bit Java? I'm running a 64 bit system.

update

OK I killed Java and then restarted Zygor and IT WORKED!

Got the update. Haven't actually started the game yet, thought I would let you know that killing Java and then running Zygor a second time succeeded.

I will see if it does that again. Pretty sure I have the latest Java cause I always update when it tells me there is a new version but I will try to remember to check on that today.

Funny thing was, it worked one day and didn't the next and I'm sure I didn't make any Java changes overnight.

Hopefully it will continue to work.
          Last edited by arizona; July 15, 2014, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Computers can sometimes be fickle about things. You might not have changed anything but a program might have left some small item sitting in the pagefile memory (or a temporary folder or almost anywhere on the system) that Java didn't like and caused it to hiccup. Of course this is just one possibility out of many for why it wasn't behaving like it should.

Comment

Seems to be ok this morning

Comment

Hmm, this is strange. The launcher worked ok for a couple of days and now it's back acting up again.
                Same as before, it freezes and stays on screen and can't be removed without killing Java or restarting and I have the latest Java installed.

Comment

Do you have any anti-virus software that runs on a set schedule? Maybe something that runs periodically (like a virus scan) is messing with Java when it's running and causing this.

Comment

I use AVAST Premier for my virus and firewall. I do a root scan periodically. The virus program itself watches everything that happens ... it is constantly running and updates itself several times during the day.

If it was my virus program it < should > cause the problem every time I try to run Zygor but it ran for maybe a week with no problem and then started acting up again.

So, it is likely something got updated or changed in some manner that caused the latest freezes.

Since, apparently I am the only one experiencing this problem it must be something about the things running on my computer --- I would think.

But what and how is it causing this problem is the question.

I wouldn't think add-on's could do it because ESO isn't even running yet so the add-ons haven't been called and shouldn't have claimed any memory areas yet.

Unfortunately, I have a busy morning and won't be able to fool with it until later but I'll try any suggestions you have.

Originally posted by Zygor Support View Post
                    Do you have any anti-virus software that runs on a set schedule? Maybe something that runs periodically (like a virus scan) is messing with Java when it's running and causing this.

Comment

Yeah, everything you have described is pointing to it not being addon related. Something specific is happening to give Java a problem. It could really be any process that's running that does it. Or it might be something like one of the software you have doing a quick check for updates every few days that does it. So many different possibilities will make it hard to pin it down to one thing.

Comment

This is a strange problem. Zygor worked yesterday ... no problem.
                        This morning I had to kill Java 4 times before it would work.
                        Also the Wildstar box was checked this morning and I did not check it, dunno how it got checked.

Some days it works and some days it doesn't.

Intermittent problems are terribly hard to solve.

Zygor worked for several days in a stretch and then began acting up again.

I thought it was fixed but it wasn't.

If you could provide us a list of ports Zygor uses, we could try to make sure our virus programs are set to let Zygor use those ports === but I don't really think that has anything to do with it or it would be a constant problem and Zygor would never work if our virus programs were blocking it.

Unfortunately, there are so many programs on our computers that it is likely we will never know which one is causing problems ... if it is a 3rd party program causing the problem and not Zygor.

But, since killing Java and retarting Zygor < usually > works ... I'm really suspicious of Zygor's interactions with Java. If it was some other program, killing Java would not likely have any affect on the problem

Comment

More info-hints at the trouble.

Yesterday it took six tries to start Zygor before it succeeded. I would start it / it would freeze / I would kill Java in Task Manager and do it again over and over.

This morning after the third attempt I did something different.

When I went into Task Manager and saw Java and clicked on the arrow in front of it, it opens up and shows Zygor running under Java. When I tried to " End Task " it would say " not responding " --- of course.

So the last time I ended Java and then clicked Zygor and was able to exit Zygor via Task Manager ( I thought ) and then Java was still running ... according to Task Manager.

When I clicked on Zygor's icon and started it again it told me there was another instance already running so I said to kill the other one and voila!!! it ran.

This is NOT an interaction with any other program but only a problem with Zygor and Java and I have the latest versions of Java installed both 32 and 64 bit.

Comment

Working...
                          X