OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question: After accepting a daily quest...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question: After accepting a daily quest...

I have a question: After accepting a daily quest from a npc, why doesn't the zygor guide "switch" to the appropriate guide, the steps (and travel guide arrow) to complete that quest? Without doing that, the zygor viewer continues to show everything related to the last guide I was working in, therefore, there is no travel system or hints on how to complete the daily guide.

Interesting idea to have automatically load a guide for a quest (similar to the pets or achievements guides).
    I think this was even suggested some time ago.
    I see one big problem: in order to load a guide for a quest all guides need to be loaded so they can be searched for that quest. A workaround would be to have a guide header that includes all quest IDs for the quests used in that guide. But that would require a rework of the guide viewer and a rework of the guides.

Comment

It would definitely require a major re-work of the guides because there are several instances of one quest being in a few different guides. For example if it's a reputation building quests it might be in a leveling guide, maybe a 2nd leveling guide if it unlocks quests for a different zone and you need to make sure you didn't skip it, in a reputation guide, and maybe even in an achievement or title guide. So at this point you have potentially 5 different guides that a single quest could be in, so how do we know which guide you would want loaded to work on that quest?

Also, if we set it up for the guide viewer to load up a guide based on accepted quests then people would expect our guides to cover all quests and we do not cover every quest in the game.
      My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

If I were to use only Blizzard and not any other addon, clicking on the blue exclamation point above a npc's head (to review or choose the daily quest offered), it would work -- and, almost instantly. There must be only one questID# for that particular quest.

Can't Zygor do the same thing? Use whatever the particular questID# is, and load up the steps into the Zygor Viewer. It's only pointing to a single, daily quest at a time. (An important point: After turning in the completed Daily quest, Zygor should then RESUME the guide it was working on before a user opted to do the daily).

I've always wondered why Zygor doesn't have an option to allow users to have two separate viewers open (one above the other) so that, for example, the Leveling Guide steps can be shown in the top one, while another guide can show its steps in the bottom one. The Travel System Waypoint arrow with its directions would operate only on whichever of the two viewers was in focus.

Right now, I find it extremely difficult to navigate between all the different guides, especially in Pandaria quests. Those quests tend to overlap each other, but Zygor needs us to abandon one guide and replace it with another guide. Very confusing to me. The Blizzard game has gone "linear" in most of its steps, but Zygor hasn't. It seems that Zygor wants to sell a bunch of individual guides (which don't work in unison) to accomplish one single objective, such as Leveling Cooking Profession. It requires switching between...
        • Profession/Cooking/Leveling (1-600)
        • Daily Guides/Cooking to acquire Epicurean Rewards
        • Fishing guide, if recipe requires fish
        • Dailies to build-your-own-garden, if recipe requires vegetables.
        • Reputation Guides/(for npc-reputation-related bonuses, etc)
        • Killing npc's for meat to exchange for tokens (switch guide to do that)
        • and, also the main Leveling Guide (to make sure the char's level can accomplish the previous things).

These do not work together; they are each separate guides or processes, which takes a lot of switching between them, with no guide to make the overall process fluid enough to save time. To me, it seems fragmented without any sort of plan.
        Last edited by kreelor; November 12, 2013, 09:11 PM.

Comment

With the way the guides and guide viewer work, having it try to display a few steps for 1 quest would require a complete re-write of the guide viewer and the guides and even then it probably wouldn't work that well. The only way we could do that with the Blizzard API is to monitor your quest log so having more than 1 quest in your log would most likely cause major problems with trying to do it like you're asking.

As for the 2nd guide viewer window, in order for us to do that within the confines of how addons are handled by WoW we would need to basically create another complete addon and it would double the amount of resources that we already use. What we have now is the best possible while keeping the resource use at a reasonable level. We are constantly looking at different ways to do things to see if we can bring more features like this to the addon but to date there hasn't been any viable way.
          My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Well, I guess Zygor got itself locked into a design philosophy before Pandaria came out. Now, Zygor wants to retain that same philosophy due to the effort/expense to make it work in a logical manner. With every new expansion from Blizzard, Zygor's guides may probably become obsolete if they don't keep up. I, for one, don't want to be forced into jumping from guide-to-guide merely to complete a profession.

Thanks for your reply.
            Last edited by kreelor; November 12, 2013, 11:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
            X