Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eve Online

Originally posted by grim View Post
    Erm......... but that doesn't sound like Warcraft does it? In fact it sounds more like Star Trek
    Even in outer space, war probably exists.

About Star Trek...

I looked at it a long time ago, and from I saw, I was extremely disappointed. It did not have the quality of graphics that WoW has. It was pitiful, in my opinion. I refused to buy it. Maybe it has been improved since then?

(I think my original comment has gotten "off topic" in this thread. My apologies. It did seem appropriate to me at the time I first wrote it).

If you want to check out Star Trek Online again feel free to do so. It is now a free to play title so you don't need to pay to try it and see what they've done. I know I just got an email from them about a new update that will have a Cmd. Worf npc voiced by Michael Dorn himself.

If STO doesn't suit your fancy you can also try a 14 day free trial of Eve which is one I enjoy playing. It has some very nice graphics to it and if you're in PvP someone that's only been playing a few months can beat someone playing a few years.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Thanks for telling me about those. I will check them out. Is "Eve" the actual, full name of the game. I'll need to know before I look it up.

Comment

http://www.eveonline.com/

Comment

Thanks again, Cabby.

Comment

Here's another 'wall of text' by me... geesh!

Cabby, it was really nice of you to tell me about "Eve." I went to their website and spent about an hour. First, I read the complete user agreement and all its legal disclaimers. That took nearly 1/2 an hour. I think they paid more for the lawyers than they did for developing the game! There is no guarantee of anything for their website or using the game. They refuse to be responsible for everything! All rights, including personal rights, are irreversibly void! heh heh. They don't guarantee anything about the product. They don't even tell you how much it costs without having to sign away your rights before finding out. The 14-day free trial still requires accepting their legal nonsense. I didn't do it.

Then, I spent the rest of the time looking for something that resembled the great graphics that WoW offers. Couldn't find anything. What I did notice is that the game is a collection of cut-scenes (which are graphically beautiful!), but out of the 5 or 6 movies I watched, not one of them showed 'control' from a user's point of view. It appeared to me that much of the game's graphics were merely cut-scenes, and the remainder was a myriad of extremely complex dialog screens where users had to enter lots of data. Tons of data! Dozens of huge dialog screens, each requiring an extreme knowledge of facts about the game. One needs a PHD in economics, engineering, politics, strategy, commerce, and a dozen other professions -- in real life, just to manage the dialogs.

I guess I'm just too old for that. You are a young 'whipper-snapper' compared to me, so your brain is still attuned properly. I'm suffering data-overload from just looking at the myriad choices, without having to make any of them. LOL.

I loved the cut-scene graphics! But, I have gotten spoiled by Blizzard's method, which is to allow me to interact with npc's, enemies, viewing the world as I travel (myself) upon my own flying mount, ground mount, walking into buildings through doorways, swimming underwater, etc. It allows me to feel as though I'm --in-- the game, not just watching it via cut-scenes.

Actually, the idea I first proposed about Universal Warcraft, is very similar in concept to their game, even though I had never heard of their game. But, they took the easy route; they didn't do what I envisioned. Blizzard's quasi-3D views (Isometric) is more what I enjoy. True 3D graphics would have been better. WoW, as it is, seems more "real" to me.

I don't mean to be negative. I'm just being honest with you about my observations based upon the kind of games I hope for. I still think that game had a great premise, but it's graphical implementation didn't suit my fancy. However, the cut-scenes made the trip a worthwhile visit. Thank you for telling me about it.

I guess the only thing left for me now is to learn how to grow vegetables in the garden plots. I know how to do it in real life, but in real life it's so much easier.

Comment

I really don't know where you got the idea it's a bunch of cut scenes put together. It's nothing like that and a very beautifully rendered space game. It's got the best 3D graphics I've found so far for any space oriented MMO and the user interface is very easy to use. You can control everything with simple mouse clicks.

The ToS they have implemented is fairly standard these days with most MMOs on the market (I look at a whole lot of different MMOs every month and do a lot of different beta testing to see where the industry is going and what might actually be worthwhile). They have it in there as they take no responsibility for anything to protect themselves from stupid lawsuits like a mom trying to blame them because her kid decided to run away (stupid example but in this day and age that's the kind of stupid stuff out there).

I'm surprised they didn't show the monthly fee but I haven't really looked at that in a while. It's just like WoW where it's a $14.95 fee per month. Now after you learn the game and play for a while getting used to everything and get the skills built up you can actually get to the point where you can earn enough in game currency to purchase a PLEX every month and then use that PLEX to add another 30 days of game time to your account, effectively making the game free to play. Also of good note is that they have never charged for an expansion and have been going for 10 years now. They have a new expansion named Rubicon getting ready to come out this month and I think this will be something like the 12th expansion.

You should know that all the promotional videos you see on an MMO website don't always reflect game play. It costs you absolutely nothing to try it for 14 days just to see what it's actually like. Just saying give it a try first before you completely write it off. Never know, you might try it and find it's a lot closer to what you'd like than you thought.

Going to move all of our Eve/other MMO talk out of this thread into a new one.

Comment

The graphics shown in videos look like what you see in the game, possibly only with more dramatic camera angles.
                But you are right, Eve is more that just flying around with your spaceship, it is a very complex game which requires to spend some time to really know how to play it.

I also like it a bit easier, that's why I wait for Star Citizen. Apart from the graphics this looks more like the space game I want to play. I loved Elite (yes, original C64 version), I loved Wing Commander. And Privateer was both, space combat and trade.
                Let's hope Star Citizen will be a modern Privateer with a good multiplayer.

And then there's Star Wars: The Old Republic. This is an MMO very similar to WoW regarding game mechanics but with some action oriented space missions.

And the Terms of Use for most games look like the ones of Eve.
                Simply because the developers don't want to be made responsible for anything the players do.
                And they want to keep the property of all virtual stuff the player gets ingame so they can ban eBay accounts.
                And they want to be able to change the game itself in any way or shut it down without having to fight court trials against players who spent a lot of time and money on the game. Imagine what would happen if Blizzard decided to change the WoW combat system so something action oriented or even shut down the game...

Comment

Working...
                X