Zygor's green 'dot'/'blob' displayed upon Carbonite's maps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zygor's green 'dot'/'blob' displayed upon Carbonite's maps

This may or may not be an "Off Topic" issue. I'm trying to find out technical details as to how Carbonite's two map views work in conjunction with Zygor's system.

Here's the problem:

-- Carbonite claims that it has only 1 Carbonite map, but that map can be displayed as a larger map view or a smaller map view (of the same Carbonite map).

-- The larger view of the Carbonite map is not the same thing as Blizzard's default large map!
    (The larger view of the Carbonite map has its own API).

-- The smaller view of the Carbonite map is not the same thing as Blizzard's default Minimap!
    (Supposedly, Carbonite's smaller view uses the same API as Carbonite's larger view of the Carbonite map). This gets confusing!

-- Zygor puts a green 'dot'/'blob' on the larger Carbonite map view [and Blizzard's Minimap] to indicate a spot to travel to.

-- However, that same 'dot'/'blob' is NOT displayed on the smaller view of the Carbonite map, even while Blizzard's Main Map, Blizzard's Minimap, and Carbonite's larger map view all display it.

I'm wondering if it's Zygor's code not allowing it to be displayed on Carbonite's smaller map view, or if it's Carbonite's mapping system not allowing it to be displayed?

It's extremely important to me to see the same 'dot/blob' on the smaller Carbonite map view just as it is seen on the larger Carbonite map view, since the Carbonite larger map view is not opened (viewed) on my screen nearly as often as the Carbonite smaller map view one is.

NOTE:
    I'm asking here first (instead of on WoWInterface/Carbonite forum) because the issue I'm asking about is Zygor's green "dot" or "blob." I thought someone here would have the expertise to answer this question before I ask it on their forum. At least, maybe I can gain some insight as to what is actually preventing the 'dot/blob' from appearing on each of the two Carbonite map views.

Green_Bullets-on-maps-1.jpg

Green_Bullets-on-maps-2.jpg

I've asked repeatedly on the Carbonite forum about this issue, but I seem to be getting 'double-talk.' Some users are saying that it's Zygor's responsibility to add code so that Zygor's quest blob appears on both views of the Carbonite map. I have yet to get a clear, definitive answer from anyone. The maintainer of the Carbonite addon will not respond, but other users are trying to guess at how it's supposed to work the way I want it to.

Note: Again, I have to mention that I do not want to merge the Blizzard Minimap into the Carbonite map.

Last edited by kreelor; December 17, 2013, 11:30 AM. Reason: add pictures and added/edited some text to help explain the issue

This would have to be something in how Carbonite is displaying it's smaller map. We're actually placing a dot on the main Blizzard map, which then is also displayed on the Blizzard mini-map. Since Carbonite is trying to take over the function of the main Blizzard map it will take all those POI dots and display them on the Carbonite map. This means it's only showing a copy of what is on the Blizzard map. Since Carbonite is not trying to replace (just simulate) the mini map when it's in it's small view it's not displaying the mini-map dot or any other icons from the mini-map.

The only way you'd get this to really work like that would be if you used the Carbonite options to merge the Blizzard mini-map into the Carbonite small map and get it all set nice to display all the mini-map icons. I remember that I when I still used Carbonite I was able to play around with the settings enough to make it so that the Blizzard mini-map and all the icons were in the Carbonite mini-map, which was nice for having the blinking professions nodes and other icons.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Looks like I'm going to have to ask the Carbonite Developer about it on the other forum. I asked here first before going there so that I could at have some idea as to how Zygor is handling the green 'dot/blob' thing.

Thanks Cabby.

Comment

I'm trying again to get a compete understanding about this issue.

I'm trying again to get a compete understanding about this issue. I've added and edited some of the text in my original post (see link below) and also added 2 pictures to hopefully explain the situation. I hope somebody who understands API can help me.

The following link is to my original post in this thread:
        http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...ll=1#post92700

Comment

I have personally never worked with Carbonite, but I do suspect that it is a problem on our side of the code and not theirs. It appears that they have two separate maps that can be shown and we only support the larger of the two maps (likely because it was the only one they had when we coded our support).

This is one of the reasons we temporarily disabled support for Carbonite and other map addons, because they are constantly changing and require a lot of resources to keep all of them fully supported.

I have added this to our priority list and we will take a look into updating our support for Carbonite.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Dev 2 View Post
            It appears that they have two separate maps that can be shown and we only support the larger of the two maps (likely because it was the only one they had when we coded our support).
            Carbonite does not have two separate maps, as I stated in my original post:
            "....-- Carbonite claims that it has only 1 Carbonite map, but that map can be displayed as a larger map view or a smaller map view (of the same Carbonite map)."
            They have always had those two views of their one map. It's not a new thing.

I appreciate that you plan to look into this issue further. Make sure that you download Carbonite's latest Beta/Alpha version... not their 'Release' version. The Release version is so out of date that they no longer support it.

Thanks for replying!

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Dev 2 View Post
              - (Dec 17, 2013)
              I have personally never worked with Carbonite, but I do suspect that it is a problem on our side of the code and not theirs. It appears that they have two separate maps that can be shown and we only support the larger of the two maps (likely because it was the only one they had when we coded our support).

This is one of the reasons we temporarily disabled support for Carbonite and other map addons, because they are constantly changing and require a lot of resources to keep all of them fully supported.

I have added this to our priority list and we will take a look into updating our support for Carbonite.
              It's been quite some time since your comments and mine (Dec 17, 2013). I'm hoping that this issue hasn't been lost in the mountainous pile of 'things to look at.'

Rythal, the author of the Carbonite addon has recently made changes to the addon code which will allow other developers (like Zygor) to work with the addon in a much simpler way than before. As you know, I've been extremely interested in having Zygor update the API(s) especially for the smaller of the two Carbonite "views." Currently, and for the last couple of years, Zygor hasn't done so. If it's truly on your "priority list," I hope some attention will be directed toward fixing this.

To reiterate the issues:
              Zygor isn't recognizing the Carbonite smaller map view, but only the Carbonite larger map view and Blizzard's main map view. The smaller map view is used much more often during the game and it should show what Zygor Guides show but, it's crippled without having the same features as the other map views.

Note: The Carbonite addon has only one map, but has two views of it. Each view uses a separate API. According to Rythal, it should be much easier for developers to make that API work like the other ones. Other addon authors have already done so.

Please, let me know if Zygor will even consider fixing this, or not. It's not just me, but there are thousands of people who use the Carbonite addon, and presumably, Zygor as well.

If you do decide to help, please note that it's the latest BETA VERSION OF CARBONITE which will have to be updated, not the "Release version!" The release version is non-functional, or nearly worthless. It is no longer maintained. Use the BETA instead.

Thanks!
              Last edited by kreelor; April 6, 2014, 11:34 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I put stuff on the list and the dev team look at it and make any decisions about what's on the list. As has been stated many times by the dev team, we try to be as compatible as possible with all other addons but we can't guarantee compatibility with all other addons. If the dev team finds a solution to this and fixes it then they do, if they decide not to change our addon code just to suit one other addon then that's their call as well. What decision they make is something I'm seldom aware of. I see that this particular issue is still on the list so it's something they're still considering.
                My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Cabby, thank you for replying to me. At least, you did... not the so-called developers! You must be sick and tired of having your ass kicked when the so-called 'developers' are to blame! I don't blame you. I blame them and John.

I can only imagine that from your reply that they (the dev team) are not interested in the least about fixing such an important issue because it doesn't profit them financially. The Carbonite addon is not merely some odd addon... it is one used by many people, probably used more than Zygor users, since Carbonite doesn't extract money from users, as John does.

Cabby, I'm not blaming you.
                  You wrote:
                  What decision they make is something I'm seldom aware of.
                  The developers, whoever they are?, seem to be making decisions that impact this (paid for) addon in negative ways.
                  Cabby, as you know, I've commented about the Cooking Guide (that's just one example), and as you know I could quote DOZENS of errors in the guides!), and those "prima donna's" have never fixed any of them. WTF?

Cabby, it's not your fault. IT IS JOHN'S FAULT for not overseeing his products and his team -- which he is supposed to be supervising! I blame John. He gets the money... he is responsible for his product.

Even though I like the Zygor addon, its value is dimenishing. It is becoming obsolete and an embarrassment for me to recommend to other users.

NOTE: YOU'VE DELETED MY OTHER MESSAGES, SO I SUPPOSE YOU WILL DELETE THIS ONE AS WELL. IF I DON'T POST POSITIVE COMMENTS, THEY GET DELETED.
                  Last edited by kreelor; April 13, 2014, 04:28 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

Your request for Carbonite support is duly noted. However, maintaining our own products and ensuring they are of the highest quality will always be our chief concern. We try our best to add in requested features if we can, and usually that decision is based on what the community is asking for, so if something you'd like to see added or fixed hasn't been addressed it's likely because other customers aren't requesting it in high numbers, or we're working on requests that have higher demand.

We welcome criticism and are always working to address any issues our customers have. We're sorry to hear of your disappointment in our efforts, but given the outstanding level of customer satisfaction and positive feedback we have received it would appear that your opinion is the minority.
                    Zygor Guides Creative Director

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor Admin View Post
                      ...so if something you'd like to see added or fixed hasn't been addressed it's likely because other customers aren't requesting it in high numbers, or we're working on requests that have higher demand.
                      Just how many requests in high numbers do you consider something worth your while to take note of it? If something is broken, and only a few people post it, shouldn't that be enough to fix it, or not? If my opinion is in the minority (as you say) maybe it's because other people have been waiting for YEARS for Zygor to fix something -- even though they aren't as vocal as I am? I'm wondering what a simple Poll topic would reveal about users who want Carbonite support fixed in Zygor Guides, or not? I know you are "... working on requests that have higher demand" as you stated, such as guides for software other than World of Warcraft. But, I for one will never use that software, so it doesn't matter to me in the least.

Even your Update Log has not been updated with anything relevant for at least a month! That shows me how little you care about "... maintaining our own products and ensuring they are of the highest quality will always be our chief concern.", as you stated. The Professions Cooking Guide is full of (many reported) errors and the other Guides have numerous errors as well. Is that the "highest quality" that you are talking about in your products? I think not.

I've lost all hope that whatever I expected or wanted from what is basically a very good guide system will ever be remedied and/or improved upon now that you've moved onto (profitable) software non-related to WoW. I'm glad you answered. You speak like a polished politician. I understand everything you said, but reading between the lines, I can only agree with about 1/2 of what you said. Sorry.

In any event, Cabby deserves highest commendations for all his effort and support! His diligence is what has kept me returning to the forums, if nothing more than to see if anything improved. Not much lately. Actually... nothing lately! Log remains the same every day.l
                      Last edited by kreelor; April 14, 2014, 10:52 PM. Reason: SP: Poll not pole

Comment

I'm thrilled to see that Zygor guides takes their own guide function into consideration prior to worrying about the fluidity of a product that is not only Zygor's, but an addon I don't use and don't care about. I do use Zygor's product, therefore it is only proper for them to worry about the home-front issues first.
                        As someone who works in the IT industry we are always focused on what will make our product better, and only consider taking precious time to integrate another program into our own when it is vital to the function of our own product. This is standard business practice. I would have less respect for the product I paid for if I found out what I paid for is taking a back seat to integration and development of something I didn't pay for, and, again, don't care about.
                        Carbonite can worry about Carbonite. I paid for and use Zygor.
                        "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

A Carbonite work-around for its 2 map views

For anybody else who also uses the Carbonite addon, I finally resorted to my own work-around method to allow me to see the Zygor green blobs and other things on my "disguised" Carbonite smaller-view map. I had to do that because it's only the Carbonite larger-view map which has its API configured to show such things.

While in the game, I resized my Carbonite's larger-view map by scaling it down to the same dimensions of the Carbonite smaller-view map and placed it in the exact same location on my screen that the original smaller-view map is. (It covers the smaller one).

Now, it "appears" that I'm using the original Carbonite smaller-view map (as though it's actually working the way I had hoped for) without having the larger-map view covering most of my display. It's much easier to see Zygor's quest location blobs, follow Carbonite's mining/herbalism nodes with its "Find current route" option), and to see the other things which don't appear on the original default smaller-view map. At least, for me it's better than nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by kreelor View Post
                            For anybody else who also uses the Carbonite addon, I finally resorted to my own work-around method to allow me to see the Zygor green blobs and other things on my "disguised" Carbonite smaller-view map. I had to do that because it's only the Carbonite larger-view map which has its API configured to show such things.

While in the game, I resized my Carbonite's larger-view map by scaling it down to the same dimensions of the Carbonite smaller-view map and placed it in the exact same location on my screen that the original smaller-view map is. (It covers the smaller one).

Now, it "appears" that I'm using the original Carbonite smaller-view map (as though it's actually working the way I had hoped for) without having the larger-map view covering most of my display. It's much easier to see Zygor's quest location blobs, follow Carbonite's mining/herbalism nodes with its "Find current route" option), and to see the other things which don't appear on the original default smaller-view map. At least, for me it's better than nothing.
                            I had to resort to this method because the "Zygor Team" is too lazy to update its compatibility with the Carbonite addon. The author of the Carbonite addon (Rythal) has made it very simple for Zygor and other addons to coordinate. Zygor has refused.

Comment

Working...
                            X