To Remember Zygor Frames Layout Positions/Characteristics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To Remember Zygor Frames Layout Positions/Characteristics

one thing i find frustrating is when i temporarily disable my Zygor guides for various reasons, and then later on enable them - all of the previous custom layout/locations of frames have been completely "forgotten" and go back to their default locations.

with many other guides/addons, one can simply enable/disable them knowing they will be back to the state you left them in last. i would really like to see that ability or option for the Zygor guides.

right now, i seem to have 3 options, none of which are ideal:
    1. always have guide active (when i'm not using it, i like to be able to free up resources, as it is noticeable)
    2. move, rearrange, size frames every time i re-enable it
    3. copy & paste from a backup version of the "layout-local.txt" for every character

thank you for your consideration.

When you are in game and open the guide selection window (small drop down arrow on guide viewer) what does it display as your guide version?

I'm thinking something is wrong with your install because I've often disabled the guides and then later on enabled them again without positions being reset.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

This happens to me occasionally as well, but most of the time it remembers my position. If my configurations/position isn't the same, I usually just open the guide options and copy the profile from my main character.
      It may seem narcissistic to link this, but it's awesome nonetheless.

Comment

thanks for the replies, much appreciated!

Zygor VER: 4.0.6730

i haven't disabled it and re-enabled it recently. i will do a bit of testing and see if the latest version keeps the settings. thanks!

--- just one other thing if you wouldn't mind to help me out with and clarify: if i copy a profile from another character, what attributes are being copied. i assumed (bad, i know) that EVERYTHING regarding data of that character would be copied, so i always avoided doing that, but if all it is copying is layout attributes that would be fantastic (position, scale, etc.). i will have to give that a test run too. thanks very much for the help.

the Zygor guides are absolutely awesome!... and the community is fantastic for helping others and asking for assistance. the frequency of the updates... very impressive. i have recommended Zygor to all of my wow friends and family. thank you very much!

Comment

If I recall correctly, it'll just copy that character's customization settings as well as the position coordinates, it shouldn't copy the step/guide you're on, that should be unique to your character. However, I've been focusing on my hunter recently and haven't played my other characters in some time, so you may want to await a response from someone like cabby who levels a ton of characters to confirm that .

Comment

thanks silverhawk11

Comment

No problem .

Comment

If you copy a profile from another character in the guide viewer options it should only be copying the positions/settings aspect. The guide/step should still be unique to each character and not be copied over. I will admit tho it's been quite a while since I've done that but I'm 90% sure that it didn't try to copy over guide step positions, just frame positions and option settings. After you copy over a profile you may need to type /re into the chat window to reload the UI if it doesn't quite look right after the profile copy.

Comment

Has Zygor thought about allowing an additional profile option which would allow users to copy a specific profile to ALL of their chars (at once)? I find it frustrating to have to do each one separately. Also, maybe I've been doing something else wrong? Is there some way to have the new profile take effect without having to log out and then back into the game again? For instance, Carbonite's settings seldom, if ever, require logging in and out; they take place immediately while in the game. I'm just wondering these things.

Comment

Type /re into the chat window after you copy the profile and that will re-load the UI and position everything for you without going all the way out to the character selection screen. And if you think about it Carbonite does a reload as well when you copy a profile. You could log into a new character, copy the Zygor profile, then go into the Carbonite options and copy a profile, Carbonite will do the automatic UI re-load and that will be good enough for Zygor to get everything into place properly. Kill 2 birds with one stone kind of thing.

Comment

If you want all characters to use a single profile you can choose any character to use a profile from a different character. Just select it in the list of existing profiles next to the new profile field.
                      That way every change you make to the options will affect all other characters that use this profile.

However there's no way to automatically use a certain profile without having to change it the first time you log in with a character. To have different default settings you need to edit the options file in the Zygor addon folder. But that file may get overwritten when updating the guide.

Comment

Cabby and Cartman; Thank you both for your suggestions. With your help, I keep learning new things which are quite useful. I'll have to investigate the options in more detail, the next time I get a chance to do so. THANKS!

Comment

Well, it's been some time now since I encountered this frustration for me, and I can still say the situation has not improved or been resolved. I have since changed to another computer and reinstalled everything - nothing is wrong with the install. This is what I do for a living - Computer Tech.

I have never come across this situation with any other addon or guide, as some of you might know the file "layout-local.txt" stores most of the information for your UI positions and size (both Blizzard's and your other addons). Now if you disable an addon, and later decide to enable it, it will in fact be exactly where you last left it, as it is stored in this file (sometimes in other files within the addon). Now with Zygor Guides, I would like to be able to disable it when I don't want to use it, and enable it when I do. Doing so does NOT remember the positions and size settings you setup to your liking. Here is an example of the code in the "layout-local.txt" file that contains my settings (locations and size) of everything from Zygor so things are well, where I want them:

Frame: ZygorGuidesViewerPointer_ArrowCtrl
                          FrameLevel: 0
                          Anchor: TOP
                          X: 0
                          Y: 10
                          W: 1
                          H: 1
                          Frame: ZygorGuidesViewerFrameMaster
                          FrameLevel: 13
                          Anchor: BOTTOMRIGHT
                          X: -407
                          Y: -1
                          W: 40
                          H: 40
                          Frame: ZygorGuidesViewerFrameMasterCreatureViewer
                          FrameLevel: 21
                          Y: 0
                          W: 145
                          H: 160
                          Frame: ZygorGuidesViewerMapIcon
                          FrameLevel: 3
                          Anchor: TOPRIGHT
                          X: -184
                          Y: -48
                          W: 24
                          H: 24
                          Frame: ZygorGuidesViewerFrame
                          FrameLevel: 30
                          X: -144
                          Y: -1
                          W: 303
                          H: 87
                          Frame: ZygorGuidesViewer_CreatureViewer
                          FrameLevel: 22
                          Y: 0
                          W: 145
                          H: 160
                          Frame: ZygorPetBattleFrame
                          FrameLevel: 1
                          Anchor: RIGHT
                          X: -10
                          Y: 115
                          W: 400
                          H: 600

When I disable the Zygor Guide, then immediately enable it, these values are ditched, replaced by new ones from the way the guides are setup. Now I realize there is also a LUA file located in the main "SavedVariables" folder called "ZygorGuidesViewer.lua" which also contains some information regarding preferences setup. Since this is such a gigantic file, encompassing the entire Zygor Guides data, it would be very helpful to have a separate LUA file created for profiles of characters. I have gone through this file, painstakingly locating my characters' data. As you know data added to LUA files is not added in a logical manner unless programmed to do so, as you may notice other addons' settings are not always in the same order for each of your characters. For this reason, it is difficult to located character settings lumped in with all the other data for the guides.

I wanted to be as thorough as I can be, as I have tried many methods of having the guides remember my settings. Sadly, the only way I have found to do this is to actually copy the Zygor Guide data back to my current "layout-local.txt" files. Only then will I get back to the settings I had. It probably goes without saying, as soon as you disable the addon, and re-enable it later, you're back to square-one! I honestly have never had to do this with any other addon/guide. Zygor Guides is an amazing product, and clearly you are a very talented bunch of people, so I'm really hoping you can find a way to make this work as I truly believe it must be possible, since all other addons/guides have a system of storing preferences that you can revert to at a later time.

Thank you for looking into this matter. I appreciate all the great work you've put into this fantastic product!

Comment

As I continue to try to figure out why I can't have my UI preferences saved for Zygor Guides, I also tried something else. I made a copy of the layout/prefs I liked - I was happy with the way everything looked. I simply copied (duplicated) the profile and just named it "LAYOUT" so it should be easy to find, when I reload the addon and everything gets rearranged around the screen. After disabling, then re-enabling it, the usual happened: none of my UI positions or layout was saved, so I looked down the list for the alternate I had created named "LAYOUT" and sadly nothing changed. I have no idea why this can't be done, but it is certainly a frustrating issue that I have never encountered with another guide/addon.

All I want is for when I enable Zygor Guides, I don't have to re-layout my UI. Why can't it retain my preferences (location, size, etc. of all Zygor elements)?

I hope you will look into this.

Thank you.

Comment

This is something that is being looked at to get changed around from being saved in the locals-layout file into our SavedVariables files. It will probably take some time to get it done, but it is being looked at.

Comment

Working...
                              X