OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm impressed. Zygor Leveling Guides get better by the day!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm impressed. Zygor Leveling Guides get better by the day!

The more I use the Zygor Leveling Guides (Alliance & Horde), the more I like them. I'm really impressed by the diligence of the Staff in their non-stop efforts to fix what needs to be fixed and their doing it in record time. This kind of determination with quality-results is very rare indeed in this day and age!

Although there are a few things which still need to be ironed-out, the Leveling Guides are improving fantastically. The Travel System, for instance, has come a long way from what it was when it was first introduced. I rely upon it now, and most of the time it performs as expected. It saves time and effort. I don't use the "ants" feature.

The Waypoint 'arrow' is a key feature in speeding up traveling time to where the next action is to take place. It's not always correct, but without it, game-play would be far much slower. It too has improved alot! It even glows in variable colors to show when you're heading in a precise, correct direction, or not! That kind of attention to detail shows that the developers care about such things, which is admirable.

The only thing I wish that would be improved is the textual information in the Guide's "Steps." After all, these are "guides." Too often, the text is so brief and so vague that it appears that users (like myself) are expected to be totally familar with the quests, locations, procedures, entrances/exits, altitudes, floor levels in multi-floor buildings, etc., even when we are not. Fully-experienced players who have done the quests repeatedly won't need verbose text, but very often, I need more precise, verbose info. Without it, the purpose of the addon seems to get lost; leveling time is increased due to confusing, or missing, info. But, overall, it's still damned good! 85-90% of the time, the text is sufficient.

Had the Staff not produced so many other guides (devoting their time to them), then the Zygor Leveling Guides would be perfect, by now! Flawless!

The forum administrators are superior in every sense of the word. Although I have complained often, they have always responded politely to me. That is professionalism at its best, and I appreciate it greatly.

If you're reading this and you haven't yet made up your mind about this Zygor Leveling Guide addon, I recommend confidently that you purchase it and start having fun with World of Warcraft, instead of struggling. It certainly beats Blizzard's default, incomplete questing information, by a long shot!! Purchase this addon today! I recommend purchasing both the Alliance and Horde Leveling Guides.

Originally posted by kreelor View Post
    The forum administrators are superior in every sense of the word. Although I have complained often, they have always responded politely to me. That is professionalism at its best, and I appreciate it greatly.
    While you might complain a lot I know it's because you see some flaws that we might not always see, and that's why we value the feedback. I'll admit, with you often complaining I would have expected a so-so testimonial but I'm definitely happy to see such a good review. And to answer your biggest concern here, I do believe the content team are planning to work on fleshing out the guides more with extra text and tips after Blizzard releases 5.2.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Things have changed; I'm not as happy now as I was then.

I'm sorry and sad that I can no longer agree with what I wrote originally.
      Things have changed, and not for the better.

This is one statement I made which I can no longer attest to:

The more I use the Zygor Leveling Guides (Alliance & Horde), the more I like them. I'm really impressed by the diligence of the Staff in their non-stop efforts to fix what needs to be fixed and their doing it in record time. This kind of determination with quality-results is very rare indeed in this day and age!
      Too bad. Reputation has fallen quite a bit during the last year.
      I'm very disappointed. It's no wonder I haven't bought any of the other products (which I would have!). I have no confidence in them at all. Don't need to waste my money when a company doesn't give a damn about quality. It seems that desire for money has replaced integrity in product quality. Zygor Guides is not what it used to be. What a shame. Now, I can no longer recommend it.

Comment

I personally wouldn't go that far - some of the things I've reported have been fixed within 24 hours which is impressive. It's just a shame that some other things haven't been fixed after 18 months or so. However, other guides that I've tried have been no better and in some cases worse. I used Dugi for a while and quite often bug reports weren't even acknowledged.

I think it just shows that there is a vast amount of data to keep track of in the game and that it's not easy to keep everything bang up to date. All guide vendors have this problem to a greater or lesser extent. I've no plans to change from Zygor.

Comment

Originally posted by mzanker View Post
          I think it just shows that there is a vast amount of data to keep track of in the game and that it's not easy to keep everything bang up to date.
          I don't want this to turn into a "Thread Topic," but I must add that "the vast amount of data in the game" isn't the issue! The issue has been and still is that the user-reported issues and bugs aren't being addressed, or at least not in a timely manner in several cases. The majority of the data doesn't even need to be considered, since it seems to be fine. The number of potential fixes (used to be) minimal, compared to the overall code. But, they never get done. They only get added to the infamous "List of things to be looked at."

Today is Sep 10, 2013 and the updater log hasn't had one fix for the Leveling Guide since the beginning of or the middle of last month (Aug). And, even then, there were only a couple fixes. That's what I'm trying to say.

Thank you for replying. I'll not turn this into another "Thread Topic."

Comment

Well I had a nice big reply typed up and decided not to because you'd think I was picking on you or something. Suffice it to say that things aren't always as they appear and what you perceive as a problem with a Leveling guide might not actually be with the Leveling guide and get fixed under a different heading.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
              Well I had a nice big reply typed up and decided not to because you'd think I was picking on you or something. Suffice it to say that things aren't always as they appear and what you perceive as a problem with a Leveling guide might not actually be with the Leveling guide and get fixed under a different heading.
              I never intended to extend this thread, but I do not agree with what you stated.

"Under a different heading????"

1. If I'm using the leveling guide and I encounter issues with it which can be documented, then the problem is with the leveling guide. It's not always 'user stupidity,' although I sometimes fall into that trap.

2. If, as you say, "things aren't always as they appear and what you perceive as a problem with a Leveling guide might not actually be with the Leveling guide and get fixed under a different heading.", then why doesn't the Log specify the corrected issues [exactly what they were and what has been changed]?

If they were important enough to report and important enough to change, then they should be important enough to be listed in the Updater Log as a change. Otherwise, we users have to start a new char, level it to the point where the issue(s) occurred (again), to find out whether or not they've been fixed. Not a common sense approach. A few lines of explicit text in the Log is much more desirable for professionalism and to also let users know that what they reported actually got fixed, or not. When I don't see the fixes "fixed," it's automatic to believe they haven't gotten fixed. And, that means my next character is going to encounter them again.

Many thanks for many of the fixes the team has actually fixed! But, I have noticed that things have slowed down quite a bit lately. Maybe it's boredom with the game, or real-life issues. I don't know, but I hope all of you continue improving these guides from the Beta versions in which they were sold/released into quality guides which will make all of you proud to have participated in their full completion. Zygor Guides stand apart from many other guides. It's something to be proud of. You've all helped many people enjoy this game of WoW.

Comment

Originally posted by kreelor View Post
                But, I have noticed that things have slowed down quite a bit lately.
                According to the changelogs it seems the Zygor team are currently going through the leveling guides and are especially putting in more hints:

Version: 4.0.7343
                Released on: October 10th, 2013
                [A] Leveling
                Made minor changes to the leveling guide
                Added a few missing steps and helpful tips throughout

Version: 4.0.7337
                Released on: October 9th, 2013
                [A] Leveling
                Minor fixes and addition of tips in the guides

Version: 4.0.7326
                Released on: October 8th, 2013
                [A] Leveling
                Minor changes to the leveling guides
                Added several tips throughout the guides

Version: 4.0.7320
                Released on: October 7th, 2013
                [A] Leveling
                Added missing flight path steps
                I agree that sometimes the changelog can be more precise, in this case for example they could have mentioned which zone guides were reworked.
                However documenting every small change would cause the changelog to become huge and possibly takes more time than actually fixing something.
                It would be better to have someone between Cabby and the content team to make sure reported issues have been fixed (as Cabby is busy enough with the forum and the ticket system).

Comment

Thanks Cartman for replying!

I'm going to use your list to illustrate the kinds of things I find strange (in a Log file).

If I were the 'Boss,' and one of my employees gave this kind of 'status report' to me, I'd wonder what he/she actually did?
                  -- Where would I look to find these 'reported' fixes?
                  -- How could I verify if those individual changes were actually made, or not? Etc, etc. etc.

This 'Log' of fixes (1 or 2 fixes-per-day) is so vague that it merely says: "somebody says that they did something!" But, nobody knows exactly what was done, or even if it was done? It could be bogus.

I guess I'm going to have to presume that the Update Log presented to users is different from any kind of professional record keeping used in-house at Zygor. I would hope that Zygor doesn't rely upon this limited, vague list to keep an historical record of their changes to the various addons. How could they work as a team under supervision that way? There's no real way to track and verify anything (based upon what I see in the Log presented to users).

Version: 4.0.7343
                  Released on: October 10th, 2013
                  [A] Leveling
                  Made minor changes to the leveling guide
                  Added a few missing steps and helpful tips throughout

Version: 4.0.7337
                  Released on: October 9th, 2013
                  [A] Leveling
                  Minor fixes and addition of tips in the guides

Version: 4.0.7326
                  Released on: October 8th, 2013
                  [A] Leveling
                  Minor changes to the leveling guides

Version: 4.0.7320
                  Released on: October 7th, 2013
                  [A] Leveling
                  Added missing flight path steps
                  And, I'm sure you are correct when you say that itemizing the true fixes would take up too much space in the [user's] Update Log. Why not add a page to the website listing a true picture of changes (by date), which users could choose or not choose to look at to find if specific changes have been made? None of my complaints or suggestions are important enough to implement. I'm only commenting on observations I've made about the vagueness of the Update Log descriptions.

Comment

Any bug fixes can be verified 'in-house' via the SVN that is used to work on the guides. The SVN change log is also normally very brief since changes can be seen in file comparisons. The change log you see is just a quick summary of changes made so that you have something to look at. As Cartman has said, sitting there and creating a change log is primarily a waste of time for us since it is completely separate from the guides and is just a small visual for the customers. I don't think there is any easy way for us to get a better change log available unless someone were to sit there for 30-60 minutes for each update to create the change logs. The way we do it now it's more like 10-15 minutes to throw it together and get the update out without losing too much time.

Comment

To be honest I'm happy with that. I'm not going to specifically go back and check to see if all the things mentioned have been fixed - I'll just wait until I level my next alt (which won't be too long - 21 alts spread over 3 realms and counting...)

Comment

The changelog of guide version 7354 now shows more information about where changes were made. This looks much better now.

Comment

I too just now loaded the last update log (3:52AM pacific). It actually explains most things. It is more useful, and provides more confidence. Thanks!

[A side note: I even noticed that one of my own suggestions was added. Cool.]

Comment

Working...
                          X