No announcement yet.

Memory leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To break that down for how it is directly related to you scotty2, in your pictures your fps keeps dropping in an inconsistent way in relation to the Zygor memory usage. If your fps hit was caused by the Zygor memory usage then when Zygor dropped in memory usage (pictures 3 & 4) your fps should have gone back up again. Since your fps continued to drop after Zygor flushed the used memory it means that something else is causing the fps issues you see.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

I really appreciate the input from both of you and what you say makes sense. I guess I was concerned because there was a comment earlier in this thread (in response to a post about memory use) saying that 31 MEG for Zygor was within acceptable limits. My gameplay had been displaying poor fps and I noticed that Zygor was using 80-odd MEG.

To be honest I do use a number of other addons. I'll try disabling them and then monitoring my performance.

Thanks again for your speedy response.

Comment

Now my FPS is almost around 100 FPS.

In system I lowered my resolution and also set everything to low, although the recommendation is high. But by doing that I got a higher FPS and also a better and much more better performance and also more pleasant to play and this with the Travel System enabled, but Ants off.

So I don't think FPS issues are caused by Zygor Guides.

I think it's something on WOW's end.

Comment

I use an addon called ACP or Addon Control Panel. What this addon lets me do is create profiles for which addons I want to have enabled or disabled (currently, I have 2 profiles, one for raiding where I have about 30 addons enabled and one for normal where I have about 70 addons) and I can swap between profiles on the fly without logging out of WoW. It does reload your UI between swapping but that is generally ok, only 30 seconds or less for me.

If you are running an AMD processor, youre hosed. WoW has moved from requiring a decent graphics card to requiring a good cpu and unfortunately, AMD performance wise is not up to snuff like they used to be (Im in this boat running a 3 ghz AMD dual core so I experience these same frame rate drops).

There are a few things you can try however.

Start up the Blizzard launcher but dont launch the game.

Hit the Options in the upper left corner and make sure the following is set:

Display Mode - Full Screen
          Sound Hardware Acceleration - Enabled
          Graphics API - DX11
          Launch 32 bit client - DISABLED

Hit Ok, then hit up options again and select Downloader preferences.

DISABLE both options here (Allow Quick Play Regardless of Network Speed AND Peer to Peer Transfer).

Now, launch the game, hit Esc, then System.

On the left hand side, there is a list of other windows, hit Advanced.

Here, we are going to forced WoW to only render a certain amount of frames per second, since there is no reason to do more than 30 or so and the game is plenty playable.

Tick both boxes on the right, Max Foreground FPS and Max Background FPS.

Now, drag the slider on MAX BACKGROUND FPS all the way to the left (we dont care what the FPS is when the game is minimized).

On Max Foreground FPS, drag this slider all the way to the left and hit apply, then increase it notch my notch until you start to see no difference visually (hit apply between each change, remember, you can use the right mouse button around the outside of the options window to turn your toon to see what the change will look like).

All the way to the left is around 8 fps, 1 notch over is 13 fps, 2 over is 19 fps, 3 over is 24 fps, 4 over is 30 fps.

Set this slider to as slow as you can deal with, mine is set to 2 notches which is around 19 fps (Id prefer around 30 fps but I can manage with around 20).

This slider by the way, as one final note, has helped SMOOTH the frame rate drops so that when they happen, they are far less drastic than normal (ie. instead of 3 fps for 10 seconds every 45 seconds, it drops to around 8 fps every 45 seconds).

Two other options you can try.

In this same screen, ENABLE Triple Buffering (upper left). Hit Apply

Now, go to the Graphics page (list on the far left of this screen) and ENABLE Vertical Sync and hit Apply. This will help reduce frame rate spikes even further but MAY make the mouse movement SLIGHTLY less responsive (I personally dont notice a difference).

Now, lets put a little bit of load on your video card, drag the slider on the graphics quality all the way to Ultra and fly around a bit, change directions every 10 seconds or so and do this for a few minutes and see if you have any drastic frame rate spikes. If you do, then you are still going to have issues in raiding BUT, this way you can simulate what that frame rate spike will be like in raids.

As one final thing you can try is rebuilding your WoW cache. This will uninstall all your addons in the process but dont worry, they will be backed up in the process. This will take about 10 minutes or so. By the way, if you plan on trying this, this is an excellent opportunity to trim the fat and remove any addons you simply never use.

1. Navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft (c:\program files \ World Of Warcraft) and MOVE the WTF, Cache and Interface folders to the desktop (CUT and Paste - NOT copy and paste)
          3. Now go into the Data folder and DELETE the Cache folder
          4. Navigate to /Users/Shared (c:\Users \ All Users) and delete the Battle.net folder
          5. Launch the World of Warcraft Launcher. Let all updates apply and hit Play when Game is up to date is displayed. (Takes about 10 minutes)
          Race and Class: Dwarven Priest Character Name: Jacq US server: Cenarion Circle
          Primary Spec: Shadow Secondary Spec: Discipline

Comment

One note to add to what littlewierdo posted, I have seen where, on occasion, there will be an increase in performance if you set the Display Mode option (at Launcher) to Windowed-Fullscreen instead of just Fullscreen. This may or may not help but worth a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Ingeke View Post
              Now my FPS is almost around 100 FPS.

In system I lowered my resolution and also set everything to low, although the recommendation is high. But by doing that I got a higher FPS and also a better and much more better performance and also more pleasant to play and this with the Travel System enabled, but Ants off.

So I don't think FPS issues are caused by Zygor Guides.

I think it's something on WOW's end.

Just wanted to let know to them who have still FPS issues.
              Maybe this can help them too.
              WoW's engine is 8 years old and has gone though more optimizations than Windows has. It can get a little fiddly unfortunately.

If you believe it is WoW, close the game. Make sure the entire thing is closed, and go into your WoW directory and delete the cache folder. Make sure you start the game via the launcher, as it may have a very small download for you (Unlikely but it might).

Comment

"If you are running an AMD processor, youre hosed." "AMD performance wise is not up to snuff"

This just isn't the case. AMD is perfectly fine. I'm running an AMD Phenom 2 X4 970 processor at 3.5 Ghz and wow performs exceptionally well. So if you all like AMD processors they are fine( Intel is only slightly better in my experience) not to mention a whole lot cheaper..

Comment

Unfortunately, this is a very unique problem that not everyone is having. We arent talking about low fps overall, we are talking about good fps numbers but every 30 seconds to a minute, the fps drops to 10 or under for 10-20 seconds and then reverts to normal, almost like clockwork.

As in, 60 fps for 45 seconds, then drops to 8 fps for 10 seconds, then reverts to 60 fps for 45 seconds, then drops to 8 fps for 10 seconds, etc.

The only thing I have been able to do is reduce how sharp the frame rate drop is, but not eliminate this problem in its entirety.

For example, if I uncheck limit frame rate in foreground and just let WoW run at max frame rate, on ULTRA graphics settings, I run at 40 fps for 20-25 seconds, then it drops to 3 fps for 10-15 seconds, then reverts back to 40 fps for another 20-25 seconds, by the way, not doing anything other than standing in Zangarmarsh. By limiting the frame rate, I can extend the 20 seconds the game runs at the higher frame rate to about 45 seconds to a minute before it drops the frame rate.

I also want to clarify, I REDUCE the graphics quality for normal WoW playing to LOW, but by setting the graphics quality to Ultra, I am able to replicate the problem I have specifically in raids without actually having to be in a raid. Dropping the graphics to LOW, I am able to run at over 100 fps outside of raids, inside raids I get around 60 fps but every 60 seconds it drops to 3 fps for 10 seconds.

I am explaining all of this so people understand, this is not a low frame rate over all, this is low frame rate drops that happen every minute or so and then everything reverts to higher frame rates for a short period of time.

Comment

Littlewierdo, have you investigated possibilities of it being the graphics card or display drivers? Tried using new and older drivers?

Comment

There have been some options added to tweak the Travel System performance. Littlewierdo, could you get a reading of your FPS at different settings of the "Route calculation speed" option? Also, simply click on the spinning arrow once, with the destination being somewhere far away - does it cause the FPS drop for a few seconds immediately, without waiting the usual 40 seconds?

Comment

This isnt a Zygor problem, this is a WoW problem (Ive tried disabling every single addon). My pc should be more than capable of handling WoW (a 3.0 ghz dual core AMD processor and a 550 Ti Nvidia graphics card w/ 8 gb of ram & a 256 gb SSD HDD with Windows 7 and all three of Blizzards games installed and Guild Wars 2 which I hope to get around to playing eventually). It isnt high end but it certainly is much higher than even the recommended specs.

Drivers are all current, firmware is all current as of a month or so ago (I need to check on the motherboard and SSD firmware again. I have read that people have had these kinds of issues directly related to video card heat OR SSDs overheating. My video card is relatively new (bought it 2 days after Diablo 3 released) so I dont think thats a problem, my SSD might be a problem as it is just laying on top of a DVD drive because my case doesnt have a place to screw the drive in. So Ill try putting it on its side when I have a chance.

It started with the pre MOP patch (the one that introduced the new talent system). Before that patch, could run WoW in ultra graphics settings and had no issues, even when raiding. I can run WoW in ultra now but every 30 seconds, my fps drops to 4 or less for a 10 second period and then jumps back up to 30 (which is how I know my PC can handle this is because it can sustain 30+ fps for 30 seconds or so).

Since the pre-MoP patch was released, I have updated my video driver at least three times, using the latest beta versions NVidia made available, hoping this would be fixed, no such luck. When installing / updating my video card drivers, I do a 'clean' install (which resets all my settings to default), I then open the NVidia control panel and set the profile to 'performance'. I also uninstall the 3d graphics driver and the 3d physx software that NVidia installs.

Zygor causes a very slight stutter when creating a route far away (every time it 'thinks') but this is not something I can complain about. Dont worry, this isnt an addon problem, it does this even with no addons running.
                        Last edited by littlewierdo; January 7, 2013, 05:55 PM.

Comment

Have you tried any of the 'older' nVidia drivers? Maybe something from middle of last year area.

Comment

Working...
                          X