Memory leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Memory leak

I was just wondering if there were plans on addressing this...

When I log into WoW, Zygor initially is using between 23-24 Mb of memory. Ive been logged in for around 8 minutes and been watching this increase now to over 30 Mb (to give you an idea, the next addon, Grail, is using 17 Mb, followed by Gatherer at 16 Mb, Carbonite at 11 Mb, Elvui at 7Mb, Mobinfo2 at 5 Mb, the rest of my addons are under 5 Mb), nothing else I have installed comes remotely close and nothing is steadily increasing its memory usage like Zygor is doing.

Since I just noticed this about 10 minutes ago, Im going to keep an eye on it later today when Ill be logged in for two hours at a time to see what this eventually jumps to. But Id like to see this addressed.
    Race and Class: Dwarven Priest Character Name: Jacq US server: Cenarion Circle
    Primary Spec: Shadow Secondary Spec: Discipline

Ok, been logged in for about 20 minutes, looks like there is an occasional cleanup being done around 31 Mb of usage but this seems somewhat excessive. Is every single guide being loaded into memory all at once? 31 Mb compared to the next largest one I have running (Grail at 17 Mb) seems pretty high.
    Race and Class: Dwarven Priest Character Name: Jacq US server: Cenarion Circle
    Primary Spec: Shadow Secondary Spec: Discipline

Comment

31mb is within acceptable limits. Because the guide data is stored as part of the main addon (unlike Lightheaded, Questhelper, etc) ZG's footprint is always going to be a little large. I wouldn't worry too much.

Comment

The memory increase and then clean up that you see is from the travel system as it keeps re-calculating the fastest route to give you for getting from point A to point B.
        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
          The memory increase and then clean up that you see is from the travel system as it keeps re-calculating the fastest route to give you for getting from point A to point B.
          If thats the case, littlewierdo might be able to cut down a little by turning off the travel system.

EDIT: For comparison, ZG is using 28.8MB on my Linux Mint install. I have no other addons on that WoW client and ZG is freshly installed and closed. No guide loaded. I think thats fine.

Comment

The memory leak is horrible, I've had to shut the guide off whenever I do instances because it brings my system to a near screeching halt inside instances and inside the catacombs used in the Golden Lotus dailys. I do not have a substandard computer by any means, and when I turn the addon off all the FPS and other decreases in game performance go away.

Comment

There is no memory leak. You will see a slightly increased usage of the memory by the Travel System but it then flushes out what it's used and starts over again after using so much memory. This can make it look like a memory leak but if you watch it and pay attention to it you'll see it when it flushes the memory for what it's used to start over again.

Have you tested with disabling other addons when in instances to see if maybe Zygor and another addon are having a conflict of some kind causing your fps drop?

Comment

Well there may not be a memory leak but my WoW play goes choppy on a regular basis. If I quit or logout then go back things are OK for a while. I've been keeping an eye on addon memory and there's certainly something very odd/wrong about Zygor.

shot 1.jpgshot 1.jpg
                shot 2.jpg
                shot 3.jpg
                shot 4.jpg

Zygor is using anything between 30-odd and 80-odd MB. When memory use goes up my game enjoyment goes down.

Apple Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
                16 GB
                OS 10.8.2

Comment

Well there may not be a memory leak but my WoW play goes choppy on a regular basis. If I quit or logout then go back things are OK for a while. I've been keeping an eye on addon memory and there's certainly something very odd/wrong about Zygor.

shot 1.jpgshot 1.jpg
                  shot 2.jpg
                  shot 3.jpg
                  shot 4.jpg

Zygor is using anything between 30-odd and 80-odd MB. When memory use goes up my game enjoyment goes down.

Apple Mac Pro 2.66 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon
                  16 GB
                  OS 10.8.2

Comment

Sorry about the duplicate post - dunno what happened.

Comment

Any chance of some feedback on this - it's driving me nuts???

Comment

Originally posted by scotty2 View Post
                        Any chance of some feedback on this - it's driving me nuts???
                        Here the same !

Comment

I have made sure the dev team has seen this thread.

Comment

thanks Cabby

Comment

First of all, keep in mind that memory issues in general might or might not be connected to FPS drops. An addon might easily use up even 200 MB - if you have that much spare (and your system won't throw out-of-memory warnings yet) - and not cause an eye-blink of performance loss. On the other hand, an addon might go calculating some stuff in the background, hogging the CPU like mad, degrading your game to a slide show - and using just a few kilobytes of memory.

So, in other words: if you're seeing consistent and significant memory leakages (memory use counter going 12 MB, 14 MB, 17 MB, 19 MB, 22 MB... would mean a 2-3 MB being eaten each second), then it would mean the addon could use some optimizing indeed, but it shouldn't impact your game performance. (However, you're usually going to see a drop back to a low value within a few seconds.) This is perfectly normal - Lua isn't a very "tight" language, and some of the core WoW functionality requires some memory to be wasted and reclaimed later.

You should only be worried when looking at your FPS counter - if certain Zygor Guides-related events cause consistent FPS drops (like, "whenever an NPC model is shown, my FPS goes down from 100 to 10, making the game unplayable, but when I disable the model then FPS goes up to 100 again!") - then it would be cause for worry, and we'd do our best to nail such issues immediately.

Don't worry about the memory and don't let it fool you into "feeling" the game performance go down, if it isn't directly reflected in FPS drops.

Comment

Working...
                              X