Carbonite no longer working with Zygor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carbonite no longer working with Zygor

Since the update just 15 minutes ago Carbonite is no longer available to be used as the waypoint?? In fact you cannot select anything else.

Please bring it back urgently. I would step back a version of the guide if I could.

When Zygor first released the guide viewer it used Cartographer for a waypoint arrow. Once the author of Cartographer decided to stop working on that map addon we needed to come up with a solution for having a waypoint arrow. At that time the TomTom arrow was added as an option so that our customers would still have a working arrow. Then there were requests for the Carbonite support and that was added.

Now that Zygor has it's own waypoint arrow and Travel System it has been decided that we no longer need the other arrows. It is more efficient for us to only maintain support for our own arrow, and the Travel System will not work with any of the other arrows.

We do not expect to be adding the support for the other arrows back into the guide again since it is no longer needed like it had been in the past.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Sorry but I don't agree as a customer. I use Carbonite and Zygor togeather and they were working perfectly so why annoy a whole lot of users by removing it with no discussion what so ever. It was one of the reasons I purchased the guide that it did work with Carbonite.
      I find your waypoint system not really of much use.

Please reconsider and add it back in. As I said if I could go back one version I would and would not update again and not spend any more of my money on your guides.

Comment

I would like to highly support veldthui.

The routing via carbonite is way better then the build in. It might be a question of taste, so its just my point of view, but I would really ask you to reconcider your opinion concerning carbonite.
        As a matter of fact we are not asking to support any waypointarrow system, but maybe its an option to utilize TOMTOM as a "standard" (Carbonite seemed to work fine in emulating TOMTOM)

You really should compare the build in ANT-Line with the uncompareable Carbonite-"Google-Map", when it zooms out to the longdistance travel or something like that. If you have seen it on your own you will understand.

Please keep supporting Carb (now that it is open) or Tomtom. I dont think that it is a wise decision to assume that one does not use a second addon besides Zygor.

Thanks alot

Chris

@veldthui
        Thank you, i made a backup prior to update.

compare those two, left is zygor built in, right is carbonite, same quest and position:
        ScreenShot 20121207140131 World of Warcraft.jpgScreenShot 20121207140205 World of Warcraft.jpg

Comment

While its always good to have options, supporting a third party system takes up developer time that could be spent perfecting the developers own system.

Comment

Giving the customer what they want far outways the same time it would take to update the system if needed. I come from manufacturing so know you keep the customer happy and give them what they want or you risk losing a lot even from small customers. In fact small customers are usually cost you more in bad rep that the larger ones.

The system was working fine so why remove it. If it was not working or causing issues then yes okay but just to remove it when it is being relied on is not on.

Comment

Only having the built in waypointing system wouldn't be so bad if it worked, but it doesn't.

With the last release 4.0.5520, I have been getting LUA errors related to the built in waypoint arrow. I can also not disable the arrow. It stays on the screen all the time, even when I am in a raid. The only way I can get rid of the arrow is to disable the Zygor addon completely!

The Tom-Tom arrow worked perfectly. The Zygor built in waypoint arrow still has many issues and really is not ready for any release yet. It definitely should not be the ONLY option for users, especially since it doesn't work right.

Please bring back Tom-Tom at least until Zygor can get the built in waypoint arrow working properly!

Comment

Originally posted by veldthui View Post
                Giving the customer what they want far outways the same time it would take to update the system if needed. I come from manufacturing so know you keep the customer happy and give them what they want or you risk losing a lot even from small customers. In fact small customers are usually cost you more in bad rep that the larger ones.
                I know nothing about manufacturing. I'm a programmer. The same industry that Zygor is in. ANd I know that you have to weigh developer time verse weather or not it's worthwhile. If they have 2000 customers and only 5 use a feature, that feature may not be worth the time and effort it takes to maintain.

Keep in mind that every time a third party addon changes, ZG must update their guide to work with it. Now imagine TomTom or Carbonite is updated 3 to 5 times a week (Maybe they are on a roll, or they are fixing bugs). Everytime they update, there is a chance that it'll break integration with other addons such as ZG.

EDIT: Keep in mind, I'm not saying they shouldn't add the feature back in. I'm simply pointing out a possible reason for why it was removed and why it may not return.

Comment

Originally posted by avejoe8 View Post
                  Only having the built in waypointing system wouldn't be so bad if it worked, but it doesn't.

With the last release 4.0.5520, I have been getting LUA errors related to the built in waypoint arrow. I can also not disable the arrow. It stays on the screen all the time, even when I am in a raid. The only way I can get rid of the arrow is to disable the Zygor addon completely!

The Tom-Tom arrow worked perfectly. The Zygor built in waypoint arrow still has many issues and really is not ready for any release yet. It definitely should not be the ONLY option for users, especially since it doesn't work right.

Please bring back Tom-Tom at least until Zygor can get the built in waypoint arrow working properly!
                  I would suggest posting the errors so they can track down the bugs.

I generally find Swatter is good for this (It comes with Auctioneer). When an error occurs, it pops it up and you can click the text then press ctrl-c to copy it.

Comment

The errors have been posted in the bug reporting area of the forum. They don't belong here. And as a customer who paid for the Zygor products, I don't think I should have to do their testing for them. They should properly test before releasing.

Until Zygor can get the waypoint arrow fixed or adds back Tom-Tom, I will be using an older WORKING version.

Comment

Originally posted by Bomyne View Post
                      I know nothing about manufacturing. I'm a programmer. The same industry that Zygor is in. ANd I know that you have to weigh developer time verse weather or not it's worthwhile. If they have 2000 customers and only 5 use a feature, that feature may not be worth the time and effort it takes to maintain.

Keep in mind that every time a third party addon changes, ZG must update their guide to work with it. Now imagine TomTom or Carbonite is updated 3 to 5 times a week (Maybe they are on a roll, or they are fixing bugs). Everytime they update, there is a chance that it'll break integration with other addons such as ZG.

EDIT: Keep in mind, I'm not saying they shouldn't add the feature back in. I'm simply pointing out a possible reason for why it was removed and why it may not return.
                      Thats the point. At least the Carbonite one said they wont change again. Just because someone else updates a version does not mean Zygor have to. So far it has only failed once when the new author had to change it. Not bad for the numerous versions. They could at least leave it in until it stops working. To remove a working part is just plain silly except to say use ours and no one elses. As mentioned it may be okay if it worked properly but it doesn't. I was 7 meters away from the target and it was telling me to go to a completely different zone. I moved 2 meters and then it came right but not before going in circles.

Comment

Originally posted by veldthui View Post
                        To remove a working part is just plain silly
                        Tell that to Microsoft :P

As mentioned it may be okay if it worked properly but it doesn't. I was 7 meters away from the target and it was telling me to go to a completely different zone. I moved 2 meters and then it came right but not before going in circles.
                        Do you have any map addons? I had that issue when using a slightly outdated version of Sexymap. Updating sexymap fixed it.

Comment

As a long time Zygor customer and someone who has working in the IT industry for over 30 years (yes I am that old), I appreciate where Zygor's position, but I also know what they know which is the best new customer is to keep your old ones very happy.
                          I'm not happy. Zygor, please reconsider this decision. It's a very frustrating step back in the capabilities of your program and your current software in now way provides the same experience as zygor and Carbonite Maps.

Comment

For me, this is bad, I use Carbonite with Zygor and now I canīt use them together anymore. I have to look for something to replace Zygor. I canīt replace Carbonite because there are nothing similar. Dugiīs guide works with Carbonite.

thx Zygor and goodbye

Comment

I share your feelings, but dont be rush (and if its only for the wasted money), for now you might want to stick to an old version of zygor, like me. It would greatly help if the patchnotes were really patchnotes and not just a "patch-overview".

I will check what happens when you upgrade zygor with updater and stick to an old version of waypoint.wtf.

As allways: backup is your friend

Comment

Working...
                              X