Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WoW locks up only for one character when loading Zygor

Hi,
    Zygor Guides is working for all of my character except one.

When I load this one character WoW hangs. I see the splash screen for Zygor guides Saying "Welcome to Zygor Guides 4.0" and a Continue and Skip button, but I cannot click anything or move my character. The only way to get my system to respond again is to kill the WoW process.

I have disabled all Add-Ons except Zygor and it still does not work (all other character work with all my other Add-Ons loaded).

After reading some other threads I have also:
    Deleted the contents of the WoW/Cache folder.
    Deleted the ZygorGuidesViewer folder from WoW/Interface/AddOns
    Deleted the Zygor files from WoW/WTF/Account/<accountname>/SavedVariables
    Run the Updater and installed a fresh copy of the guides (currently 4.0.5488)

One really odd thing though, is that I tried this on my partner's computer and the same character had the same problem even though it was a completely separate WoW install and a fresh install of Zygor.

My OS is Windows XP Pro x86 and my partner is running Windows 7 Pro x64.

We think this has something to do with a hidden bug in the gear system we are trying to track down. Could you do a test for us.

1. Log into your character with the problem with the guides disabled (this should allow you to log in) and place all equipped gear in your bank (get naked)
    2. Place any gear that is in your bags into the bank as well
    3. Go and re-enable the guides and log back into the character

At this point when naked and no gear in the bags you should be able to log into the game with the guide enabled. Now go to the bank and take out one item at a time and put it into your bag, close the bank window, and then equip that item. Keep repeating this process until either all of your gear is equipped again or the game freezes.

If the game freezes then please disable the guides so you can log in and then please list for me all equipment you are wearing and which item it was that you equipped when the game froze. Also, did the game freeze when you put that item into your bag or when you equipped it?
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

What cabby listed would be awesome if someone could help me out with debugging this issue since I have never been able to reproduce this issue.

One quick note that would make the process less painful, you do not need to close your bank in between items. Each time you pull out an item the gear system should suggest you equip it (if it should be equipped) and you can just accept equipping the item that way (or just wait a second if it is not an upgrade before pulling out another item)

However I expect that the issue will result after you have all your normal items equipped and are pulling out items for an offspec. Weapons are what I would expect to cause the issue.

Thanks and hope to be able to get this issue resolved soon.

Comment

I followed the steps listed by Cabby and was able to log in with Zygor Guides enabled.
        I then re-equipped all of my gear without issue. However when I logged off that character and logged back in the issue reoccured.

My character is a Draenei Shaman at Level 85, and he is a jewel-crafter.
        After a bit of trial and error I was able to narrow it down to the rings in my bags that I haven't got around to selling yet.

My equipped gear is:
        Nature-Crush Helm
        Entwined Elementium Choker
        Shoulderpads of Reconstruction
        Drape of Neferset Destruction
        Crashing Idol Chestguard
        Fine Cloth Shirt
        Renowned Guild Tabard
        Brewtaster Bracers
        Geomancer's Mace
        Knife of the Venomous Asp
        Schnottz's Medallion of Command
        Heart of the Vile
        Signet of Bloddy Sands
        Hessonite Band of the Soldier
        Treads of the Starry Obelisk
        Gryphon-Grip Leggings
        Belt of the Stargazer
        Gatesmashing Gauntlets

The rings in my bags are (All green Item level 300):
        Hessonite Band of the wildfire
        Hessonite Band of the whale
        Hessonite Band of the marksman
        Hessonite Band of the sorcerer
        Hessonite Band of the fireflash
        Hessonite Band of the invoker

If I have everything except the Invoker ring in my bag everything is ok.
        If I have everything except the WildFire ring in my bag everything is ok.
        If I have everything except the Marksman ring in my bag everything is ok.
        If I have everything except the Fireflash ring in my bag everything is ok.
        If I have everything except the Sorcerer ring in my bag everything is ok.
        If I have everything except the Whale ring in my bag it fails.
        If I have everything except the Sorcerer ring in my bag but put the Soldier ring in my bag it fails.

I don't know if you will be able to repeat these results but different combinations seem to have different results.

One thing I did find is when I logged out and logged back in when things were working, was that the gear system kept recommending I equip different rings (even replacing the one it recommended I equip last time). So may be the gear system is getting itself confused with certain combinations?

Comment

Thank you a bunch neilvds, that helps tremulously. That is exactly the information I needed and I should be able to fix the issue pretty quickly now.

Comment

As requested I have read this post in an attempt to provide you with any info needed. Well I have spent over an hour trying to find the required info for you on this and below is what I can tell you. Unfortunately or maybe fortunately I can no longer get it to fail. Here is the route I took.

• Deleted WTF folder disabled all addons except ZygorGuides and tried to log in, game freezes.
            • Disabled all addons and logged in successfully.
            • Stripped all items so I’m left in my shorts.
            • Emptied all bags.
            • Removed all bags except the mandatory first bag.
            • Logged out and enabled Zygor Guides.
            • Was able to log in OK.
            • I then placed each individual item in the first bag one at a time and logged out and back in and every item previously worn was OK.
            • I then wore each individual item one at a time, logged out and back in and every item was OK.
            • I then placed all the items in my bag logged out and back in and all was OK.
            • I then wore every item I had before, logged out and back in and all was OK.
            • I swapped the rings in their slots, logged out and back in and all was OK (Never any trinkets at any time so no need to swap them).

I then popped back on here to check if I had misread anything and saw in the other post here that they indicated that they were a Jewelcrafter and that they had rings in their bags from crafting. I too am a jewelcrafter and had rings and necklaces in my bags from levelling my profession. I then tried to get every item I had in my bags at the time of the problem back into my bags, however, due to limited space on this toon I had to use a combination of Guild Vault and mail to alts to empty all my bags to perform clear testing and I believe I have managed to get them all back into my bags again but I cannot make the game freeze anymore. Gutted, especially when I could get it to fail every time. I have checked all my inventory and cannot see anywhere any Hessonite Bands that the other poster had. I did have several of the following in my bags but as I have said I can no longer make my loading freeze even with these in my bags.

Stoneguard Band
            Sun Rock Ring
            Heavy Adamantite Ring
            Crystal Chalcedony Amulet

I have tried many different combinations and bag locations in a vain attempt to recreate the exact item/scenario but have failed. Let me know if there is anything else you can think of for me to try if you think it will assist in your investigation. Sorry I couldn’t be of any more help.
            _____________________________________________________________________
            There are 10 types of people out there, those that know binary and those that don't!

Comment

this is still happening with crafted rings

Comment

I'm not sure what is causing this issue but once I put the crafted rings and necklaces in my bank, logged out, enabled zygor, take out my crafted rings and necklaces, the client didn't freeze. Before, I had all the same items in my bag and the client would freeze completely, now it's working fine

I wish I could tell you exactly what the problem was but it is working. Off to level the Pally!

Comment

Currently lvl 39 Warlock. Enchanting/Tailoring. Game locks up as soon as it loads with Zygor. I have deleted the interface, wtf, and cache folders. Reinstalled zygor, upated and it still locks up.

Comment

Try this as suggested by Cabby:

1. Log into your character with the problem with the guides disabled (this should allow you to log in) and place all equipped gear in your bank (get naked)
                    2. Place any gear that is in your bags into the bank as well
                    3. Go and re-enable the guides and log back into the character

At this point when naked and no gear in the bags you should be able to log into the game with the guide enabled. Now go to the bank and take out one item at a time and put it into your bag, close the bank window, and then equip that item. Keep repeating this process until either all of your gear is equipped again or the game freezes.

If the game freezes then please disable the guides so you can log in and then please list for me all equipment you are wearing and which item it was that you equipped when the game froze. Also, did the game freeze when you put that item into your bag or when you equipped it?
                    Allowed me to move past this issue

Comment

This is the issue as far as I can infer the problem.

Craft grind items that have a possibility of being upgrades to your character in multiple accessory slots. Rings are a very good example here. Necklaces don't cause this problem, nor would bracelets - but I highly suspect fist weapons would if applicable for your class, e.g.

If and only if these items become something the gear adviser wants to recommend swapping will a problem occur, and a lockup of WoW will occur when 2 or more items in your inventory become contentious for upgrades either in the same slot or multiple slots. When there become 3+ items, you're definitely boned - it is my belief the adviser goes into an infinite loop, never able to stop advising which item is best to recommend because there are choices and better choices again and again for each equipment slot back and forth, and it never stops making up its mind when to quit making suggestions, entering what in technical terms is a "race condition" in code.

The code needs to scan for suggestions once and stop with a best suggestion, not continually second-guess itself after just a millisecond of calculation. It needs to be decisive and accurate, arriving at a correct and final answer without being recursive.

Or so I believe is its error in coding, without the benefit of reading its proprietary source code.
                      --Unktehila Iksar, Sebilisian Beastlord of Kalimdor

Comment

This sounds very similar to what one of our devs believes is happening. Do you have the guides auto-equip the items for you or do you just have it pop up the box asking for you to change items?
                        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Originally posted by zoransis View Post
                          If and only if these items become something the gear adviser wants to recommend swapping will a problem occur, and a lockup of WoW will occur when 2 or more items in your inventory become contentious for upgrades either in the same slot or multiple slots. When there become 3+ items, you're definitely boned - it is my belief the adviser goes into an infinite loop, never able to stop advising which item is best to recommend because there are choices and better choices again and again for each equipment slot back and forth, and it never stops making up its mind when to quit making suggestions, entering what in technical terms is a "race condition" in code.
                          I have solved the issue and it will be going out in the next version. You are pretty close with what the problem was, it was actually an issue with just rings and trinkets because weapons are handled differently, and only was present when two rings scored exactly the same score (which is why it was noticed with crafting rings).

Comment

Working...
                          X