OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Saw your new ad, but your latest Gear Guide has too many issues to be useful for me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Saw your new ad, but your latest Gear Guide has too many issues to be useful for me

Saw your new ad (in my Inbox), but your new Gear Guide has too many issues to be useful for me.

1st, it states the values of the suggested new gear incorrectly. For instance, it might say "+143 to armor," but that isn't the "increase" in the armor's value compared to my current item; it's the default value of the armor suggested. That's not a fair comparison in "value!"

2nd, the Gear Guide IGNORES NAMING the type of item it's referring to! It should have been very simple to add "Head", "Wrist", "Shoulder", etc. But, there's no mention of what it's referring to. We have to guess.

3rd, it doesn't state what I might lose or gain in the specs, if I choose to accept the new suggested item.

4th, it does not recognize the existing items on my character(s) properly. For instance, if I have a FISHING POLE (in my Equipment Manager under "Fishing"), it will suggest that I switch that fishing pole to a weapon of some sort. I can't fish with a bow or a gun! Well... I guess I could, if I clubbed the poor fish to death.

5th, the Gear Guide does not distinguish between the items in my game's Equipment Manager! It has no idea of the functions of the different configurations employed. (see the "4th" item, above).

6th, I have armor that is far superior to what the Gear Guide recommends. I'd lose value by letting the Gear Guide automatically change things to what it "thinks" I should use. It cannot (so far) tell if one of my items is equipped with Gems or other enhanced features. I don't think it even looks at my equipped items carefully and in detail?

I could go on with more examples, but there's no need to. The Gear Guide is not nearly ready to live up to the advertisement you sent to me. Sorry.

When I aquire a new item from a 'drop' out in the field, my GUI shows me exactly what I will gain/lose --precisely!... not the generic default values of the new suggested item, but how it compares to what I have already. That's far ahead of the 'new' Gear Guide.

I'll wait and hope for it to be improved enough to be actually useful. I truly hope you keep working on it and finally make it do what it's supposed to do.

EDITED: I forgot to mention another irritating thing. Even after I choose "skip" (because I don't want its recommendation), it will not stop nagging me repeatedly to accept it. Saying "no" once should be enough.
    Last edited by kreelor; November 10, 2012, 07:10 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention...

I do agree with you that there is plenty of room for improvement with the gear suggestions but I did want to make sure you had some information for how it works.

The gear suggestions are based solely on your activated talent spec so it doesn't pay attention to any equipment sets because it views it as only needing one equipment set for your activated spec.

Oh, and you can fish with a bow or gun equipped now. Fishing no longer requires you to equip a pole to fish, but if you have a pole with a fishing bonus on it then you need to equip it to get the bonus.
    My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Thanks, Cabby. But, I brought up more points than just fishing and the Equipment Manager.

You said:
      The gear suggestions are based solely on your activated talent spec so it doesn't pay attention to any equipment sets because it views it as only needing one equipment set for your activated spec.
      But, even that doesn't do correctly what it's supposed to do. Most of my other comments were about those issues with it.

See my 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 6th, and the 'Edited' comment I made. Those are issues that make it unusable for me, and probably for anybody else as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
        I do agree with you that there is plenty of room for improvement with the gear suggestions
        That was directed at your other numbered comments.

I didn't notice the edit at first so maybe I was working on typing while you were editing. It should be remembering when you decline an item. I do not know why it's not working for you with remembering right now but we have not been able to reproduce this yet.

Comment

I've to agree with Kreelor because on my hunter, the gear guide suggested me a gear for my huntress because it had a better ilevel but the stat were inferior (by one or two points). I think your gear guide should look at 3 or 4 things : spec > main stats > the bonus stat > the ilevel.

The new UI isn't bad but I wish you could've kept the previous one because I could compare both equipments. Maybe it's better to add the new in the tooltip rather than replacing the old window.

Maybe this site could help you > http://www.noxxic.com/wow

But, like I said in a previous usually, your guide usually does things right for DPs but class like to heal or tank, it has some problems.
          Good luck and sorry for my bad english.
          Last edited by walina; November 10, 2012, 08:10 PM.

Comment

The gear suggestions are based on stat weights similar to what you find at noxxic and not the ilvl of the item.

Here's an example of the stat weights currently used to try to determine what's best for the hunters.
            Code:
                    [1] = { --BEAST MASTERY            itemtypes={BOW=1,XBOW=1,GUN=1,LEATHER=-50,MAIL=40 },
                        stats = { DPS={weight=22}, AGILITY={weight=20}, HIT={weight=18,default=18,hitcap=7.5,category=CR_HIT_RANGED}, EXPERTISE={weight=16,default=16,expcap=7.5}, CRIT={weight=14}, MASTERY={weight=12}, HASTE={weight=10}, ATTACK_POWER={weight=10} },
                        badstats = { STRENGTH=1,INTELLECT=1,SPIRIT=1,SPELL_POWER=1,SPELL_PENETRATION=1,DODGE=1,PARRY=1 },
                    },
            As you can see here the ilvl for an item does not get any extra weight and the suggestions are based primarily on the stats that an item has.

Comment

I would like to add that I feel more comfortable with accepting the guide's suggestion when it displayed the equipped item for review, as in the previous version. Further, I would like to agree that declining the guide's choice with each login is irritating.

Comment

You might understand all that code, but I don't. It just confuses me and the purpose of my topic. Even so, what does 'how the code works' have to do with the facts I brought up about the Guide not working properly? Nothing at all, except maybe to say that it wasn't coded properly to do what users expect it to do.

Comment

I don't even have to log out/log in to get the nag about switching armor. It happens while I'm still looking at my Blizzard's Equipment Manager... repeatedly. When I tell it to ignore/skip or whatever the choice is, my choice is being ignored. It asks me again.

Comment

The reply with the code was for walina who seemed (by what was posted) to think that the ilvl of an item was being weighted more than the stats. It had nothing to do with your post kreelor.

For your problem with it not remembering what you've declined, I can't reproduce this at all. It should be saving your decline choices into the saved variables for remembering them so it's possible that it's not being saved for you. Try going to your WoW/WTF/Account/<accountname>/SavedVariables folder and delete any Zygor files in there so that way new ones will be created and that should hopefully get it to start remembering what you decline.

Comment

I ended up disabling the equipment thing.
                      It is worser than ever.

And I liked it more the way like it was before 'the so called improvement' of the Gear Guide and when it said : 'Zygor wants to replace ...'
                      Then at least I could see what was equipped and what was suggesting.

Now I have first to go to my character to see wat is equipped before I accept the suggestion.
                      Too bad that has changed too.

Comment

I'm sure we will get this improved and more to a level that everyone wants. We won't know if an idea will work until we try it and see the feedback from the customers.

Comment

True Cabby !

Comment

Here's just one of the many weird suggestions I've gotten from the gear-guide. This one popped up yesterday. So, it's one you can add to the list of things to be looked at.

BTW, my char is a Beastmaster Hunter (Alliance). I can't see how losing all the stats in red justifies gaining only that small amount of "Intellect."

Image attached:
                            Another-bad-suggestion.jpg

Comment

The problem with the two items is that your equipped shoulders are leather while the others are mail. Most likely the gear guide will never suggest an inferior armor type.
                              Yojamba Shoulders
                              Trapper Shoulderguards

Wasn't there some benefit if you equip the correct armor type?

Comment

Working...
                              X