OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How can I change the configs for the updater?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How can I change the configs for the updater?

I don't want the updater to start WoW. I seem to remember that the *first* time I ran it, it asked me, but now it automatically starts WoW. (Or maybe it always did. )

How can I turn that off? I trust Zygor, but in general, it's considered a security issue to let an exe file start WoW for me.

Is there a config file somewhere? Someplace in the registry?

Thank you.

When starting the updater you should see a window with a countdown and an abort button. Just click it to turn off the automatic mode setting.
    The registry string for this is:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\ZygorGuides\AutoMode. Set it to 0 to turn it off.

Comment

Cartman, I didn't do anything to the System Registry (which nobody should actually have to do anyway). Yet, my client screen does NOT have a countdown timer nor does it take me into the game automatically. Makes me wonder why, even though I prefer it this way.
      Last edited by kreelor; October 1, 2012, 03:48 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

Kreelor, if you have the automatic mode off in the updater settings you won't see the countdown. It only comes up when using the automatic mode so that you can disable it (which may be necessary when you changed the game path or login information).
        Some time ago you needed to hold the SHIFT key pressed when starting the updater to override the automatic mode.

Comment

Awesome, that's exactly what I needed to know. Thank you!

Comment

It does make me curious why they chose to use the registery rather than a config file (C:\ZG.ini would work fine).

Comment

Unless you use the appdata folder for the ini file you may run into trouble writing the file.
              I don't want a program to put files into c:\ so it should put it's ini file into it's program folder. But the default prgram files folder is protected by the UAC so admin rights are needed to write there. Anyone remembers the trouble with WoW addons when WoW was installed into program files?

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
                Unless you use the appdata folder for the ini file you may run into trouble writing the file.
                I don't want a program to put files into c:\ so it should put it's ini file into it's program folder. But the default prgram files folder is protected by the UAC so admin rights are needed to write there. Anyone remembers the trouble with WoW addons when WoW was installed into program files?
                Yeah, I do. Maybe it should put it in the my documents folder.

I just hate the registery. I think it's thesecond worst thing a OS vendor has ever done. (The first being Metro. Both are from Microsoft. Coincidence?)

Comment

Appdata and documents folder could work if only developers could all use one subfolder there.
                  Why do games put their savegames and settings directly into a folder in "My Documents" instead of the already existing "My Games" folder.
                  If it's only some small setting I'd rather have it in the registry instead of messing up folders where I store my files...

Comment

Originally posted by Cartman View Post
                    Appdata and documents folder could work if only developers could all use one subfolder there.
                    Why do games put their savegames and settings directly into a folder in "My Documents" instead of the already existing "My Games" folder.
                    If it's only some small setting I'd rather have it in the registry instead of messing up folders where I store my files...
                    Personally, I'd rather have nothing - not even windows itself - using the registry. It's bad. All it takes is a bug in a program that uses the registry and my computer is broken. And it's impossible to fix because Windows no longer has a no-gui mode (Bad Microsoft) and the registry can't be read by a third party recovery system I may use to try to fix it. I wish Microsoft would use config files like every other operating system out there.

Another place would be to put it directly in the user folder. For me that's C:\Users\Bomyne. I don't want it putting it in the AppData folder for one of the reasons I don't want it in the registry (My reasons against the registry are many...) AppData is hidden by default, making the config file hidden from an adverage user that wants to edit the file or remove it (Removing config files are a good way to fix a bug that may arise).

Anything but the registry.

Comment

If you are scared about registry issues, the Windows recovery points work very well.
                      Also you can use a program called ERUNT to make backups of the registry (however it requires to be run as admin because of the paths it uses...). You can write them back even by using a Linux live CD. Helped me getting crashed PCs fixed more than once.

Comment

You can use CCleaner to make a registry backup as well.
                        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Working...
                        X