Syncing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Syncing

Anyone know how to sync up the zygor guides on two Mac computers??? I know this has been discussed before with PC, but can't find any info regarding Macs

If you want to copy your settings and progress over to another computer you need to copy the WoW\WTF\Account\Accountname\SavedVariables\ZygorGu idesViewer.lua to the other computer. I think this should be the same on PC and Mac.

Comment

Yep, there is no way to 'sync' the two up like your wow settings are. The wow UI settings are saved in the data folder, where your addons information is saved in the folders of the machine. It would be nice to have everything sync up, but a few clicks in the view window and Im back on track on another machine.
      BTW, I use both a Macbook and a PC system to play.

Cheers
      "The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas."

Comment

Kamchak, do you know of any way that you could have the directory 're-routed' to another folder on a Mac? I can do it with Windows and a small program. See post #6 in this thread for reference: http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...iple-computers
        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

I suppose its possible, though I have never looked into a program or methodology to make this happen.
          A friend of mine had hinted there was a way to save the addon settings information to a default type setting, making a new toon much less painful to create. Ill ask her to peruse the forums here and let us know if something like this is possible to do with the addons between folders.
          Id have to say though, looking at that post and what the OP is asking, perhaps the best thing to do is get a cheep thumbdrive to save your addons information to.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
            Kamchak, do you know of any way that you could have the directory 're-routed' to another folder on a Mac? I can do it with Windows and a small program. See post #6 in this thread for reference: http://www.zygorguides.com/forum/sho...iple-computers
            The underlying OS is unix-based so you can use the standard 'ln' command to link one directory or file to another. You could then use something like Dropbox or similar to store the settings. I do this with a few programs I use on multiple Macs and PCs.

(Unix user since the late 70s )

Comment

You think you could write up some directions for doing that mzanker? That would allow the OP to do so if he wants to.

Comment

OK, this is completely untested and may not work - it may even mess up your WoW installation so caveat emptor. However, this is what I have done with other programs whose settings I want to keep the same between computers.

Download Dropbox from http://www.dropbox.com/ and create a free account. Dropbox will create a folder "Dropbox" in your home directory, e.g. /Users/Fred/Dropbox (if your Mac account is "Fred").

Install Dropbox on the other Mac(s) and configure to use your free Dropbox account.

You'll now have a Dropbox folder that is identical (within a few seconds) on each Mac (assuming your Macs are connected to the internet).

Open a Finder window and navigate to /Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF/Account. In this folder will be another folder which has the same name as your WoW account. Let's assume it's FRED12345. Move (not copy) this folder to your Dropbox folder (i.e. /Users/Fred/Dropbox).

Now open a Terminal window and issue the following commands:

cd /Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF/Account
                ln -s /Users/Fred/Dropbox/FRED12345 .

(that's a single dot at the end of the ln command).

If you now enter the command "ls -alF" you should see that a link has been setup between this folder and the Dropbox folder. It will say something like

FRED12345@ -> /Users/Fred/Dropbox/FRED12345

From now on, WoW should store your account settings in your Dropbox folder and this will sync with any other machines you've installed Dropbox on.

On the other Mac(s) do the same thing.

They should now all be using the same account folder.

If anything goes horribly wrong, it should simply be a matter of opening a Terminal window and entering:

cd /Applications/World of Warcraft/WTF/Account
                rm FRED12345

Then, next time you run WoW it will re-create your FRED12345 folder (but all settings will be gone so you'll need to setup your addons again).

You should do all the above using the same Mac account that you used to install WoW otherwise you'll probably get some Permission Denied errors.

Comment

/bow to the Mac pro

Comment

OK. *bows to his Mac Pro*

Comment

Thanks mzanker. As a side note, you can do the same thing for the AddOns folder so that you only need to update them on one computer and it's updated for all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by cabby View Post
                        Thanks mzanker. As a side note, you can do the same thing for the AddOns folder so that you only need to update them on one computer and it's updated for all of them.
                        Yes, that should work too - and it's fairly static compared with the account folder heirarchy so there should be even less risk of something odd happening.

Comment

For those of you who do not wish to use terminal commands, you can download a free program that creates a symbolic link to any file or folder. This is not the same as an alias - the system sees both files as exactly the same file. Put the "real" file (say your Interface and WTF folders) into your Dropbox folder. Then use the app to create a symbolic link for each one. Put the symbolic link folders into your World of Warcraft folder in your application folder. Then rename them to "Interface" and "WTF". On the other computer repeat the process - the "real" files will appear in the second Mac's Dropbox folder automatically. Simply create the new symbolic links and copy them to the WoW application folder just as you did on the first machine. Works great for me.

Download the symbolic link app from: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/10433/symboliclinker

Comment

Working...
                          X