*CRITICAL* Purchase Activation & Website Security Issues Resolved

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by raklavin View Post
    Ahh, that does explain then the sudden email I'd gotten for a group following me on Twitter that I have never had any affiliation with... My twitter & here handles are the same... and I follow you there as well.

May want to reword the email to get us here though, I was a bit overly cautious at first until I was able to verify the links matched what you usually send out... sorry, I'm sure I'm not the only one leery of emails that talk about account security and link here...

Thanks though, glad you found the marks and are doing what is needed to keep us further protected in the future, all the more reason I support /your/ guide and not someone elses

--RaKlavin
    Sorry for the confusion, and thanks!
    Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
    http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Glad to hear you guys took immediate action and called in experts to fix it instead of trying to figure it out on your own (Not saying you guys couldn't, I'm sure you would have, but going to experts straight away is always the better choice).

Comment

Hi....this is a different issue but wonder if anyone can help. Upon receiving notification from zygor about the security compromise I edited my profile by way of changing my password........all well and good. However I now find that when I open up my zygor updater an error box occurs saying username or password is invalid and everything is showing as a trial version even though I know I have fully purchased guides. Yet when I enter my new password to enter the members area it accepts it no problem. Any ideas?

Comment

Hi Zygor,

I highly encourage anyone looking for a password manager to take a look at KeyPass. It makes it so much easier to keep track of the different passwords and usernames you use for sites. Thus, hopefully your more likely to use a more secure password.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeyPass

Also I'm not trying to flame but I believe that icewolfdw was wrong about password hashing. I couldn't find a better explanation then this. Believe it or not there are password tables (i.e. rainbow tables) for almost all of the popular hashes.
          Originally posted by Wikipedia
          The benefit provided by using a salted password is rendering a lookup table assisted dictionary attack against the stored values rather impractical provided the salt is large enough. That is, an attacker would not be able to create a precomputed lookup table (i.e. a rainbow table) of hashed values (password + salt), because it would take too much space. A simple dictionary attack is still very possible, although much slower since it cannot be precomputed.
          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Password_salting

He was correct in saying that then you would have no way to recover the password. BUT most websites that do salt passwords end up "resetting" the user's password when they provide enough information.

Comment

Originally posted by dassander View Post
            Hi....this is a different issue but wonder if anyone can help. Upon receiving notification from zygor about the security compromise I edited my profile by way of changing my password........all well and good. However I now find that when I open up my zygor updater an error box occurs saying username or password is invalid and everything is showing as a trial version even though I know I have fully purchased guides. Yet when I enter my new password to enter the members area it accepts it no problem. Any ideas?
            The Updater currently has some problems dealing with passwords that contain special characters such as ~!@#$%^&*(), etc. If your new password has something other than letters and numbers please try picking a new one with letters and numbers only. And don't forget to go into the Updater settings and change it there too.
            My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Originally posted by icewolfdw View Post
              During my training for ITSec we ran across several situations where this kind of event was discussed the easiest and most practical solution would most likely be to hash the pw's for each user, but DO NOT SALT them.. if you salt them then you can not do a password recovery unless you wish to reassign the pw to the user as it is permanently hashed and unable to be backward converted.
              Thats the best idea. it means that NO ONE can decrypt the password. Not the forum, not Zygor, not a hacker. Retrieving a password should let the user assign a new one in my opinion.

Comment

I use a different email for WOW than I do for anything else, I kept getting password resets and now I just know they are phishing when they send the reset to the wrong email.

Comment

Wow...

Originally posted by icewolfdw View Post
                  During my training for ITSec we ran across several situations where this kind of event was discussed the easiest and most practical solution would most likely be to hash the pw's for each user, but DO NOT SALT them.. if you salt them then you can not do a password recovery unless you wish to reassign the pw to the user as it is permanently hashed and unable to be backward converted.
                  Interesting concept but recommending to DO NOT SALT is irresponsible from an IT security point of view. You have to live with an inability to perform "password recovery" to ensure security... Good luck to all, hopefully we will not experience too much bad follow-up to this unfortunate breach of personal information and trust.

Comment

Originally posted by gimbel View Post
                    Interesting concept but recommending to DO NOT SALT is irresponsible from an IT security point of view. You have to live with an inability to perform "password recovery" to ensure security... Good luck to all, hopefully we will not experience too much bad follow-up to this unfortunate breach of personal information and trust.
                    ^^^
                    I agree exactly with what gimbel said. NEVER EVER recommend a lesser security method in favor of convenience, for customers or otherwise. Hackers count on site admins doing exactly that, and that's how this crap happens. SALT is one of the main reasons that I chose Joomla! for my framework. Manual password recovery is possible, but its impossible without direct access to the MySQL tables.

@Zygor: Thanks for the heads-up about this hack, and as a bonus it helped me uncover some password repetition that I'd missed, even a couple sites that would be very bad if they'd gotten in. (and I'm sure would be on their to-check list) I thought I'd gotten everything, but missed those few sites.

I have to admit, that normally I usually avoid "guide sites", as most are rip-offs or scams, and I was quite hesitant to purchase at first, but Zygor Guides just came so highly recommended that I decided to take the plunge. So its FANTASTIC to see that you guys are very responsible about things like this, it helps promote your "legit" image more than anything.

Comment

I got email too from them, what action is being take against them, have they been reported to law yet?

Comment

I doubt anything can be done against that company because it's not illegal to send out emails which is all we can prove they did. We don't know exactly how they got the email addresses, most likely whoever hacked this site just sold it to them. I think the only way something could legally be done against that company would be if the hacker could be tracked down and caught and it turned out he/she was an employee or owner of that company.
                        My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

Even if you track down the "hacker" it's not easy to sue him. As long as he does not live in your country it is difficult and expensive.
                          I Germany it is illegal to send unwanted promotion email and you can go to a lawyer to send them an expensive letter (should be about 500 Euro). But sadly it's a French company that sent the mails...

Comment

Trying to get account details

Originally posted by manicmaniac View Post
                            There have been recent attempts to hack my WoW account, so they may have gotten passwords. No, I don't use the same password there.
                            I had the same problem but lucky for me all my WOW accounts have a different email address to the one I use here.
                            Slim

Comment

ok i changed my password but i have a password that they cant any gues anyways because i dont use small passwords

Comment

Originally posted by slim_roberts View Post
                                I had the same problem but lucky for me all my WOW accounts have a different email address to the one I use here.
                                Slim
                                wel dont go on those emails and dont put in your login formation of wow try to stay away from phising links never login on their site asking for you wow password and secret awnser wow would never do that people that fall for it arent that smart

Comment

Working...
                                X