OR

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Profession Guide News! Big Update - Lots of Fixes + New Features. :-)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The word 'Subscription' gave me a chill, but...

As much as the mention of a subscription service turned me off, I'll wait until all of the details have come out before making a decision. On the one hand, the service sounds pretty reasonable, but I guess that it will boil down to a case of 'how much it costs' vs. 'how often guides are updated'. Right now the only guides I really use are the in-game ones (the online ones are useless to me with the exception of the death knight and inscription ones, and they're only useful in specific cases).

I'd be willing to do something like $5 a month in the hope that the newer guides will be something I'd use. You guys update the existing guides pretty frequently and add in new content as it comes live in the game, so it isn't something I'd dismiss outright. I'm just wary of guide releases like a Dungeon Leveling guide that would have steps like "Level 15: Step 1 - Use the Dungeon finder to find a group for Deadmines." and "Step 2 - Pray it's a good group."

Whether I stick around or go after the announcement, your guides have helped me level more than a few characters to the cap, so you have my thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by matttt24 View Post
      If the guides goes to subscription based only, im just going to remove it from my computer and not look back, give people the option to upgrade there current acount with one time payments as well i prefer that much more and i guarentee you will lose many customers which means you will charge more for the people that will pay i would rather spend an extra $60 per expansion than spend even $3 dollars a month if it ends up being $5 per month you essentially charge us twice for 1 guide
      Example: 5$ per month = 60$/year for all available content. Would be a reasonable price.

Comment

Originally posted by SolarDawn View Post
        Example: 5$ per month = 60$/year for all available content. Would be a reasonable price.
        Yeah, well that does indeed sound reasonable. What doesn't sound reasonable is if you multiply that one year by 2 or 3 so that for 2 years (or 2 and a half), we will have paid about double what we've already paid. 2 years = $120 and 3 years = $180. The jury is out on this, I can't make a decision yet but I don't like the idea of having to, all of a sudden, pay $20 a month to play this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Zygor View Post

Guides on the way:
          -------------------
          1. Professions
          2. Achievements
          3. Vanity Pets & Mounts
          This is like a legal way to sell crack to addicts.... awesome!
          Hasc - Titans of Glory
          Runetotem - Alliance
          http://www.theoldergamers.com
          http://www.lesrobertson.com

Comment

1st, we are assuming it is going to be a subscription...no proof, but possibility...
            2nd, we are being selfish about not ponying up and paying a subscription.

In defense of the subscription idea...

Zygor and his people have done a fantastic job on this software. But face it, it is possible that between their daytime jobs and them supporting this software at night, it is coming to a point where one or the other needs to take priority.

IMO, I think going to a subscription plan is a good idea. Zygor and his bunch have done this add-on with likely very little compensation. Maybe just enough to cover expenses and a little extra.

I have been in business for myself in the past and I understand why this might be a possibility. I made my living in computers...sales did not make my bread and butter. Service contracts is what I relied on. Same principle here folks. Totally understandable and IMO deserved.

If it DOES go to a subscription, do not drop the guide because you just do not want to pay another subscription. Think about the people involved that create this guide and how much time and effort they have put into it. I am not sure how many copied have been sold, but, I am sure that a cheap subscription rate of $5 or less might be sufficient for Zygor.

Before you get mad at what I am saying...let me give this example.

You have produced a good product for several years relying only on sales to keep you going. These sales have been enough to cover your expenses and keep you encourage to produce. But, the sales have not been steady, you have had some good months and some bad months, that is the nature of business. So, you decide you need something predictable and steady. A subscription would fit the bill, you decide on a low cost and implement it. Now you have a steady income and are now able to devote more time to you product. You actually have enough coming in to make a decent living on...so...now you provide update and upgrades and bug fixes faster. You might even consider creating more add-ons for your users and offer these up free for your subscribers.

This is of course just one possible outcome....
            Lightbringer Server
            Zestina- Hunter Lvl 96

Comment

I find a lot of responses here laughable, all this playing up sympathy for Zygor considering the whole fiasco with another certain guides provider (I guess I should edit that out, lest I be needlessly censored >_>.) I love the product Zygor Guides provides but these are not good people behind the product lol. I will certainly not feel bad in the least to jump ship back to the guides provider I used first, before I discovered Zygor.

To actually be relevant to the topic at hand, I don't understand why there can't be a subscription model *and* standard, "for-life" upgrades handled the same way Zygor Guides has been handled up to now. There are obviously a lot of people who don't want a subscription. This would please both parties and allow the company to get its steady income that it desires. I do not mind paying the high prices for guides and would much rather do that and have the product forever, than be forced to pay a monthly fee to maintain access to it.

Except with the subscription model you don't get to keep that content should you decide to cancel your subscription. Surely you subscription supporters can see at least *why* there would be a number of people against it.

Comment

Originally posted by zarpus View Post
                Yeah, well that does indeed sound reasonable. What doesn't sound reasonable is if you multiply that one year by 2 or 3 so that for 2 years (or 2 and a half), we will have paid about double what we've already paid. 2 years = $120 and 3 years = $180. The jury is out on this, I can't make a decision yet but I don't like the idea of having to, all of a sudden, pay $20 a month to play this game.
                I personally look at the concept like this. If it's the $5/month, or $60/year, that can get me a lot of things. Zygor has been releasing at least one new guide per year at about $40 per faction for that guide (often bundled for $60). This is in addition to any expansions that Blizzard has released (about 1 every 2 years so far). The expansion upgrades have been about $20 per faction (often bundled for $30). So typically we'd spend about $150 every 2 years on the guides ($120 for 2 new guides and $30 for expansion upgrade). Zygor is looking at releasing 3 guides in a few months and if I were to look at the normal guide pricing then that could be up to $180 for those guides. That's your 3 years of $5/month subscription without Zygor ever lifting another finger to work on the guides, provide new guides, do upgrades for any expansions, etc. I also look at the fact that over the last 3 years that I've had the guides I've paid out more than that $180 just to keep me current (when I first purchased they were $50 per faction).

The way I see it there's really no difference in pricing (dependent on what subscription pricing will be), the only difference would be that Zygor is making it more affordable for people to get his guides now instead of having to save up to buy them later. This can also lead to more people subscribing to the guides which, as was pointed out earlier, can lead to better income for the team allowing them to get more people and put out updates and new guides more often, which is what we really want as customers. To me this is simply a win/win situation. And no, I'm not rich, I have to budget myself, and if I can't afford a pack of cigarettes for the guides I sure shouldn't be spending 3 packs of cigarettes to play WoW every month.
                My Flight Path Follies guide

A pessimist knows all women are bad... an optimist hopes they are.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

All foreign languages are done with Google Translate.

Comment

if it means it will get things done (more content) faster I'm all for it.

Comment

I'm willing to pay a sub if it will keep Zygor from going under. Its the same amount of money as the big glob except spread out over time.

Comment

Originally posted by hexrapper View Post
                      Except with the subscription model you don't get to keep that content should you decide to cancel your subscription. Surely you subscription supporters can see at least *why* there would be a number of people against it.
                      Why should I extend my subscription If I e.g. quit the game?

Comment

Originally posted by dulak View Post
                        To all you whiners about not wanting a sub setup, this site is how the Zygor team supports their families. How they pay their bills. How they are able to buy little Sarah her new Barbie doll. Try thinking about that for a change instead of what it may cost you. You don't seem to think about what it costs you to keep paying your electric bill every month, or cell phone bill, or for those of you who run more than 1 WoW account or have multiple gaming subs to different games. I'd say one of the reasons that the guides have a somewhat slow release time is that parts of the team are having to work another job just to make ends meet. Try thinking about things like that before you decide to complain about what may come or what may not come. If Z and the team turn it into a Sub based setup, I for one will gladly pay for it. I know the amount of work that goes into these guides. It's not easy and it's very time consuming. If you wanna cry about the possibility of a sub setup, go somewhere else and do it.
                        @Zygor and the team: You guys are doing a great job! Don't listen to the whiners and those complaining of what you might do with the business model. Do what you think is best so you can keep up your good work as well as support yourselves and family.
                        We "Whiners" are customers and Zygor is running a business. It is his responsibilty to support his family, not mine. A good product at a fair price is all I'm interested in

Comment

Originally posted by grim View Post
                          A good product at a fair price is all I'm interested in
                          And we 100% intend on providing that. :-)
                          Become a Fan of Zygor Guides on Facebook:
                          http://www.facebook.com/zygorguides

Follow Zygor Guides on Twitter:
                          http://twitter.com/zygorguides

Comment

Not a happy camper

I see the subscription is on its way. I have to say that I am disappointed.
                            At a time when everyone is paying the price for the greedy bankers.
                            Finding yet another monthly debit to pay is about the last thing any of us need right now.
                            I hope that you people will still support the guys like me who do not take up the offer.
                            I thought I had bought a done deal when I got the guide. Guess I was wrong again.
                            Moreover, before you folks start too attack my point of view just remember not everyone has an endless money supply to draw from.

Comment

Originally posted by alz2010 View Post
                              I thought I had bought a done deal when I got the guide.
                              You'll still get the updates for what you paid.
                              I'd also like to pay one time for something rather than a subscription. That's why I bought Ultraedit with lifetime updates rather than the 1 or 2 years free updates over and over.

Comment

Personal opinion is if they want to go to a subscription system, let both the sub and the one-time pay be available. I don't see why that should be a problem. As to the person that is complaining that people should consider Zygor's life as a reason to do a subscription all I have to say is really? When buying anything do you really consider the companies owner/employees as a reason to pay something?

Comment

Working...
                                X